Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have to change current podcast hosting server. Can I change the server and feed url for an existing podcast?

I'm updating podcast episode every week and now I have a problem with server, so I have to change the hosting server.

This will change the podcast feed url. I'm wondering if this is allowed.

If so, I do I request to change feed url?

Please advise.

Thank you!

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 2:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 12:17 PM

The normal way of changing the Store to using a different feed is to add a special tag to the original feed and leave it there for a couple of weeks. This will redirect both the Store and your subscribers and as the effect is permanent it will remain in effect when you remove the original feed. The method is described in detail here:

http://wilmut.uk/move

The page also describes what to do if you no longer have access to the original feed - basically contacting Support. The first method is preferable because though Support can change the Store they cannot redirect your subscribers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 12:17 PM in response to jjjang10075

The normal way of changing the Store to using a different feed is to add a special tag to the original feed and leave it there for a couple of weeks. This will redirect both the Store and your subscribers and as the effect is permanent it will remain in effect when you remove the original feed. The method is described in detail here:

http://wilmut.uk/move

The page also describes what to do if you no longer have access to the original feed - basically contacting Support. The first method is preferable because though Support can change the Store they cannot redirect your subscribers.

Nov 24, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi, Roger

Thank you so much for your explanation.
I have another question, in the case of using the <itunes:new-feed-url>NEW URL FOR YOUR FEED</itunes:new-feed-url> tag, what's going to happen to the episodes I've uploaded and published already? Do I need to all of them to the new server and include in the new xml file in the new server?

Or I can leave them in the old server with old xml file and just start to add up new episodes with new xml in the new server?

Please advise.

Thank you!

Nov 24, 2015 12:47 PM in response to jjjang10075

When the redirect has taken place iTunes will no longer read the old feed and will take all its information from the new feed: so if you want to retain your older episodes you will need to enter them in the new feed. If the actual episode files are now on a different server you will obviously need to put those URLs in the old feed. Of course if you left them active on the old server them those URLs would work, but I assume you are closing the old server altogether so, yes, you need to reupload them and amend the feed accordingly.

When you do this make sure that the 'guid' tags for the old episodes are the same in the new feed, or iTunes will think they are new episodes.

I have to change current podcast hosting server. Can I change the server and feed url for an existing podcast?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.