Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote Desktop update shown without having on computer

I have both an iMac and a MBP, neither of which have ever had Remote Desktop installed. I've looked to find it hidden somewhere and haven't found it anywhere. However, both computers show an available update for Remote Desktop. Remote Desktop Client Update 3.8.4. As I've never downloaded this program, why does it show up as an update and how do I delete it from the list of updates without downloading it? Thanks.

iMac

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 2:36 PM

5 replies

Nov 8, 2015 2:34 AM in response to takom

"Why does it show as an update?"

It's part of the operating system that's installed on your computer. It's not doing your computer any harm and seeing as you don't know what it is you're probably not using it anyway.

"How do I delete it from the list of updates without downloading it?"

You can't but the update will go away once you install it. It's your choice if you want to install it or not. No harm will be done to your computer if you choose not to install it or install it.

Nov 8, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

This is why I'm questioning the update. Apple Remote Desktop is not included with the OSX as you stated above. It costs $80 to download the app from the app store.

User uploaded file

As I've never purchased Apple Remote Desktop and thus don't have it on my computers, why does my system show an update for a program I don't have on either of my computers?

Nov 8, 2015 1:37 PM in response to takom

The Apple Remote Desktop application is not included with OS X.

The Apple Remote Desktop client is.

The updates showing up are for the embedded client (what the ARD application connects into), and not for the ARD application itself. Unless you've acquired ARD.

Tools for something simpler than Apple Remote Desktop — Screen Sharing — is also present in OS X, and accessible via various means including Finder — once you have the Screen Sharing application running, you can pin it into the Dock.

Nov 9, 2015 5:22 PM in response to takom

You're getting confused. The application you're referring to is the Administration part of Apple Remote Desktop which is the specific application this forum is for. Your question is about the Apple Remote Desktop Client which, as already mentioned, is part of the operating system. You can see the client part for which the update you're worried about is for in a number of places. One place is by clicking on the Apple Menu and selecting About This Mac. Then click System Report. In the left hand side bar scroll down to Software and click on Applications. You'll see a host of applications you probably never knew came as part of the operating system. They are meant to be there and should not be removed.

Keep scrolling and you should see ARDAgent 3.8.4 listed.

The other way of 'seeing' the client is by opening the Sharing Preferences Pane in System Preferences. It's listed as Remote Management.

Hopefully between us we've explained things a little clearer and put your mind at rest?

Nov 9, 2015 5:29 PM in response to Antonio Rocco

After reading your reply, you are correct that I was confusing one for the other. I had looked for the remote client on our computers and couldn't find them in the known locations and the information I was finding in the support forum and on-line wasn't helping .. your detailed explanation cleared up my confusion. Thank you for taking the time to clarify the deltas and explain everything.

Remote Desktop update shown without having on computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.