Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod touch 5 won't charge properly

This is a recent issue as of the past week. I've had my 32 GB iPod touch 5 for almost three years. Suddenly, it won't charge fully or sometimes at all. When I plug it in, the lightning bolt icon appears next to the battery but it continues to drop and give me "Low Battery" notifications. I've tried changing the cord, plugging it into different power sources, cleaning the plug on the iPod, resetting it using the lock and home buttons, and putting it in airplane mode to charge. It says battery charging but it isn't. It will even shut off while it is supposedly charging. I'll leave it for several hours and come back and it says fully charged for a split second, then drops again very rapidly. It'll go from around 80% to less than 20% in literally seconds, even right after I take it off of the charger. Sometimes it will even stop charging while it is still plugged in, meaning that the lightning bolt symbol goes away and it doesn't even tell me it's charging.

I'm pretty frustrated because I use my iPod for a lot of school work since I don't have a laptop or smartphone, and now I can't even use it for class because it won't last for more than maybe half an hour of use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂 Thanks!

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 9.1, 32 GB, three years old

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 8:31 PM

5 replies

Nov 6, 2015 1:47 AM in response to lharber98

Not Charge

- See:

iPod touch: Hardware troubleshooting

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

If you can’t charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

- Try another cable. The cable for 5G or later iPod (lightning connector) seems to be more prone to failure than the older cable.

- If a 5G ot later iPod

Iphone 5 lightning port charging problem - SOLUTION!

- Try another charging source

- Inspect the dock connector on the iPod for bent or missing contacts, foreign material, corroded contacts, broken, missing or cracked plastic.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Jan 12, 2016 6:32 AM in response to lllaass

As I search for a solution to an issue I have, the search returns several hits on threads like this, where the problem is stated, and you post links that have nothing to do with the problem described. I would bet that 99% of the people with an issue like this have already tried all your suggestions, which are obvious, and resort to opening a discussion. My reply is constructive in that I'm trying to reduce false hits when someone Googles their issue.

Good day.

My iPod touch 5 won't charge properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.