Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Our Internal "Chip" Really Matter?

Hello Members-

I've had my 6s Plus for about 3 weeks now and have been playing with settings, alerts, back-ups, apps (Ugh) and also read so many stories about the internal design chip that you have to download an app to (Lirum Device Info Lite or Battery Memory System Status Monitor) determine which one you have in your iPhone - the Samsung or TSMC. So, "they" say that this Samsung Chip is inferior to the TSMC one and can produce all sorts of stuff from slow speeds, poor battery life and actual device overheating. I did it last night just to kill my curiosity and found I have the TSMC one within mine.

Here is a list of the Model Codes which identify which chip is which once you download one of those apps to find out:

• N71mAP — iPhone 6s with TSMC-manufactured A9 processor
  • N66mAP — iPhone 6s Plus with TSMC-manufactured A9 processor
  • N71AP — iPhone 6s with Samsung-manufactured A9 processor
  • N66AP — iPhone 6s Plus with Samsung-manufactured A9 processor

My question to all is DOES this brand of chip truly make a difference, and does the Samsung made chip seriously create these issues for users?

Has there been honest to goodness non biased tests done with them both to determine if one chip is superior to the other on performance etc? If so I would really like to see said test results and hear what is known for what inside these new phones? Also, why would Apple outsource to two different brands for these devices - or is that a stupid question itself ($$$$?) Heck, the Samsung S5 I used prior to finally getting my nerve up to jump to iPhone worked absolutely fine IMHO and I am quite sure they had their very own chip inside right? So where is the breakdown on data, and when and how does Apple make the decision which models get what chip? Does anyone else wonder if they did it by "batch, model, date, etc?" or was it just whatever the Apple employee had on his or her sterile cart ad table that particular day when they were inserting the infamous "Chip?"

Well, those are my questions and if anyone "In the know" can provide some feedback on "Chipgate" then please let it flow forth! I truly forget if there are Apple Reps on board here to reply to questions such as this and help us all as a membership quell curiosity on technical matters? If so, please do.

Semper Fidelis My Friends!

Gunny

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 2:06 PM

There is a ton of paper to read online about this. Most people will never notice any difference. From what I can tell from all I have read, is that in real world application for most people, you will not see an issue. Hard core gamers, that are using the phone more as a gaming device, will see a slightly reduced battery life for the Samsung chip.

You ask why outsource to two companies, because one could not keep up with demand. Stock of iPhones would have been severely reduced had this not been done. There is no real method that I've been able to read, and you get what you get at purchase. No real way to be sure unless after purchase you install the app. To be honest, I have no idea what is in my iPhone 6s, and it works beautifully. I have no desire to even see. The phone works for me, and even if it has a Samsung chip, I'm satisfied with the device, and satisfied with no knowing.

No Apple replies here, this is user to user. I wouldn't concern myself with the hype, just use your phone as you normally would. Good luck with the phone.

And thank you for your service Gunny. Cheers, CSM(Ret.) United States Army

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 2:06 PM in response to GunnyFitz

There is a ton of paper to read online about this. Most people will never notice any difference. From what I can tell from all I have read, is that in real world application for most people, you will not see an issue. Hard core gamers, that are using the phone more as a gaming device, will see a slightly reduced battery life for the Samsung chip.

You ask why outsource to two companies, because one could not keep up with demand. Stock of iPhones would have been severely reduced had this not been done. There is no real method that I've been able to read, and you get what you get at purchase. No real way to be sure unless after purchase you install the app. To be honest, I have no idea what is in my iPhone 6s, and it works beautifully. I have no desire to even see. The phone works for me, and even if it has a Samsung chip, I'm satisfied with the device, and satisfied with no knowing.

No Apple replies here, this is user to user. I wouldn't concern myself with the hype, just use your phone as you normally would. Good luck with the phone.

And thank you for your service Gunny. Cheers, CSM(Ret.) United States Army

Nov 5, 2015 5:38 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Command Sergeant Major Huh??? - Outstanding buddy!!

Well, i Retired in 06' as what you would label a "1SG" but we call "1stSgt" and DEFINITELY never, ever call "Top!"

Obviously each branch has their own nicknames and such but in the Corps you would get your *** chewed from Maine to Washington State if you called a Marine First Sergeant a Top! lol. I recall augmenting an Army unit in Iraq for awhile and a day didnt go by that someone called me Top, which drove me totally nuts, but at least it wasnt as bad as being called "Sarge!" hahaha

Thanks for the hasty response on my question here and it sounds like you know your way around that piece of gear well? I figured that having 2 MacBook Pro's, a new iMac, and a wife with an iPhone in the house is good enough to move off the Android S5 to this new Plus which I like alot, but need to get used to since I keep going for buttons on it that don't exist (The S5 Back button on bottom right corner being biggest) Well good on you for not wanting to find out which chip you have in there and I agree that if it all works fine, then why make a deal out of it! Right now Im trying to figure out how to delete apps ENTIRELY off the device and MacBook (not just deleting the icon itself) also how to truly sync it thru iTunes and get the right pics and info onto the new phone too! No doubt Im doing LOTS of reading and testing on everything right now my friend!

So thanks again and I'll even give ya a "Hooah" for the occasion CSM! Stay safe and stealthy out there!

OOHRAH !

Nov 5, 2015 5:54 PM in response to GunnyFitz

GunnyFitz wrote:

Also, why would Apple outsource to two different brands for these devices -

I'll tackle this one. It is common practice by any product company to outsource to 2 or more manufacturers for any important component. For example, IBM makes their own processor chips for their high end servers - but they also buy these custom chips from 2 other vendors. It's done for several reasons:

• If one company has a problem, either financial or technical, there is another source to go to
  • It makes it possible to get parts in the quantities needed, in case a single vendor doesn't have the capacity or can't ramp up fast enough
  • It enables both companies to learn the technology required, so there is knowledge backup
  • It allows for competition in pricing
  • It protects against being held hostage by a single source vendor, if they suddenly decide to raise the price
  • It's especially important if one of your vendors is also a competitor (e.g., Samsung).

Apple is just being prudent. Where they aren't is the actual finished product manufacturer; all iPhones are made by one Chinese company.

Nov 24, 2015 2:08 PM in response to GunnyFitz

Thanks. Glad to hear you are doing well. I served for a couple of years as a First Sergeant before my promotion to Sergeant Major, and then my eventual appointment as a Command Sergeant Major. Same pay grade (E9), just different appointment and assignment.

I'm not a Mac user, I teach Windows and other Microsoft products at a community college, but I'm a big iPhone and iPad user. As far as deleting apps, that has to do with what you are trying to delete, at least as far as iOS is concerned. Native iOS apps cannot be deleted from the device, but others can be. You just have to watch settings in iTunes as far as syncing, since they can get synced back to the iPhone from iTunes. If you sync with the computer and delete the app in iTunes, it will delete from the iPhone as well. If the icon is gone, the app is gone. Not like a shortcut on the desktop of a Windows computer.

Enjoy your devices, and stop by and learn like we all do. Semper Fi. 🙂

Nov 6, 2015 8:14 AM in response to GunnyFitz

Hi There, no I just got snarky responses from who knows who on this board, you are the first to actually respond with a real valued answer,thank you, now PM ?? sorry what's that abbreviated from ? I'd be curious to know these apps you speak about..as far as deleting files on your mac. drag icon to trash, go to applications and drag the actual file app to trash as well, now there are files remaining in the preference folder as well. those can be tricky determining what they are to be deleted from each app. On your phone press on the icon until it wobbles, not a hard press, like you would for 3D pressing just softly, all icons will start to wobble, then press the X in the upper left corner of the icon and press that, an option will ask if you want to delete it, yes if you do, press the home button to bring back to normal screen..you can go to iTunes and look in the app folder and hide these unwanted apps too..hope that helps..Mac are pretty well thought out and built machines and looking/clicking on the Help folder in your "above" the screen info bar to get information on such things..

Nov 24, 2015 2:34 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

HHello Mr Finch

I wish to thank you for providing such a very kind and helpful reply here in this thread I made. Now that I've actually read it I completely understand the need for multiple outsourcing for such internal components. Don't know why I didn't even think of that before, seeing that every other type of Co out there does the same thing so that they are not "held hostage " as you put it. Good info so thank you sir!

Well, since I've never used an iPhone w the OTHER type of chip - the Samsung one, I have no room to judge if it makes any difference to my amateur eyes. I guess I'm "lucky" to have this other chip in mine after using that app to determine the one I have. 🙂

DEspite being somewhat technical I am definitely having some issues getting used to this device over my Samsung S5! I thought that owning all these other Macs it would be easier but it's been harder than I thought w all these settings and such. I could list my likes and dislikes but what good would that do right? It's not like Apple would make any changes in my dumb account. But I will say this, having a group of cool professionals like you all within this community is without a doubt very helpful to guys like me so I wish to thank you all.

ANd for my fellow member "IsWho" above who I assume paid me compliments in your post, thank you as well unless you meant that the info posted by the Command Sergeant Major was the good helpful info you spoke of? Lol.

OH, and as to the acronym "PM" this is known in all forums across the board as sending someone a "Private Message" that is not viewed by the entire community. To be honest, I don't think this forum even has this capability-does it? ( anyone can answer this please?) And I actually forget when it was that I used the term to be honest?

FYI - I have some serious memory issues due to the fact I have Traumatic Brain Injury and PTSD from being blown up by an IED while in Iraq with the Marine Corps. I believe I posted this within this place before and hope the Moderators have no problem with me posting it up here now since it involves me and my background in the Marines, and my former hobby which I unfortunately cannot participate in anymore. I hope the link isn't removed and isn't seen as anything but me informing my fellow members of my combat disabilitie. That's all it is, and of course some photos of my highly modified show bike I take great pride in though cannot even ride due to the extreme pain I live with everyday. I hope the CSM gets to check it out for sure! 🙂

http://www.brocksperformance.com/brocknm/templates/bpp1.aspx?articleid=577&zonei d=22

WIshing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels wherever the holiday takes you!

Semper Fidelis,

GUNNY FITZ

Nov 24, 2015 5:09 PM in response to GunnyFitz

Gunny,

I did get a chance to see it. Great looking bike. I was an avid tour bike rider, and owned a Gold Wing. After two knee surgeries and one leg surgery, I had to give that up, so I know what you feel. However, I didn't quite go as fast! Take care, and we look forward to seeing more input from you in the future. Thanks again for your service, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Does Our Internal "Chip" Really Matter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.