Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to temporarily use a 16gb iPhone when all my data was stored on a 64gb iPhone?

I dropped my phone recently and the screen completely shattered. I am hoping to go get the screen fixed soon but for now I would like to use my old iPhone. When I tried restoring from backup, it could not be done because there was not enough storage to put everything. The phone thats screen is broken is a 64gb and I am trying to use a 16gb phone. Is there any way I can save all my information from the 64gb phone but also have apps, pictures, and contacts on the 16gb? If it helps at all, the 64gb is an iPhone 6 and the 16gb is an iPhone 5.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 6:21 PM

The only way for you to transfer data to the older, small capacity phone, is to sync it with iTunes or iCloud and move data manually. In other words, you could sync your contacts and calendar, and if you use iTunes, you could sync photos from the computer to the phone, but you will not be able to restore your backup to the smaller phone, which you have already found out. So things like the Camera Roll, or Messages, could not be moved from one device to the other. From iTunes, you could select certain apps, if there are a few you need on the 16GB phone, but remember you are going to be severely restricted as far as space is concerned, especially after being used to a 64GB device.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2015 6:21 PM in response to b_1128

The only way for you to transfer data to the older, small capacity phone, is to sync it with iTunes or iCloud and move data manually. In other words, you could sync your contacts and calendar, and if you use iTunes, you could sync photos from the computer to the phone, but you will not be able to restore your backup to the smaller phone, which you have already found out. So things like the Camera Roll, or Messages, could not be moved from one device to the other. From iTunes, you could select certain apps, if there are a few you need on the 16GB phone, but remember you are going to be severely restricted as far as space is concerned, especially after being used to a 64GB device.

Nov 5, 2015 6:22 PM in response to b_1128

Not really. The closest you could come, assuming there is already a sync relationship set up between the 64GB phone and iTunes, and the phone is functional enough to be able to plug it in and back it up, would be to plug it in, use iTunes to 'unsync' your media and remove enough apps to pare down the total data stored on the device to the point that it would fit in 16GB, then back it up and restore that backup to the smaller phone.

How to temporarily use a 16gb iPhone when all my data was stored on a 64gb iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.