Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

accessing military websites on mac, using CAC also with new update EL CAPTAIN

I am having trouble with the new update to el captain accessing DOD websites such as AKO, JKO. I can no longer use my CAC reader either.

Previously, I was able to use Safari by selecting develop>user agent> Internet Explorer 10.0. This no longer works. I can get to the site with chrome, but can not log in.My CAC reader will not work either. I have downloaded the new software as per http://militarycac.com/

The instructions there are for old platforms of mac and I cannot follow them completely. Like uninstalling the previous software, or adding the CAC reader to my keychain. I am not the most apple savy user. Is there anyone on here that can this down for me. I would greatly appreciate any guidance.

CAC - common access card

AKO - army knowledge online

DOD - department of defense

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2016 9:22 PM

Whenever you upgrade your operating system (OS), you will need to CAC-enable (i.e. Public Key Enable) the system all over again. You should refer to the instructions and downloads available from the web pages under Getting Started for End Users (Mac) on DISA's Information Assurance Support Environment (IASE) website. You will need middleware to use your CAC on OS X. The instructions on IASE will direct you to Smartcard Services (middleware) downloads from Mac OS forge. Smartcard Services will work for most CACs and readers, however, if you do not see your CAC keychain in the Keychain Access.app after installing the Smartcard Services package and inserting your CAC in the card reader, then I recommend using another free middleware called Centrify Express.

Aside from installing middleware, you need to download and import the DoD Root and Intermediate Certificates in your Keychain Access. Most of the DoD certificates are available if you add the "SystemCACertificates" keychain using the File > Add Keychain option and navigating through the folders to Macintosh HD > System > Library > Keychains. You need to download and import a few certificates into the "login" keychain, such as DOD ROOT CA 2 (3 certificates total), DOD ROOT CA 3, and any intermediate certificates that issued the certificates on your CAC, which are greater than DOD CA-30 (such as DOD CA-31, DOD EMAIL CA-31, DOD CA-32, DOD EMAIL CA-32, DOD ID CA-33, DOD EMAIL CA-33, DOD ID CA-34, DOD EMAIL CA-34, etc.). Go to the Cross-Certificate Chaining Issue page to download two zip files (i.e.Certificates_PKCS7_v4.1u4_DoD.zip and unclass-irca1_dodroot_ca2.zip, then use the File > Import Certificate option to add the certificates to the "login" keychain. All DoD Intermediate Certificates are available for download (one-by-one) from the DoD PKI Management website at https://crl.gds.disa.mil/ (download the Certificate Authority Certificate, not the Certificate Revocation List, i.e. CRL) for each certificate.

Company: Southwest I.T. Solutions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2016 9:22 PM in response to lag218

Whenever you upgrade your operating system (OS), you will need to CAC-enable (i.e. Public Key Enable) the system all over again. You should refer to the instructions and downloads available from the web pages under Getting Started for End Users (Mac) on DISA's Information Assurance Support Environment (IASE) website. You will need middleware to use your CAC on OS X. The instructions on IASE will direct you to Smartcard Services (middleware) downloads from Mac OS forge. Smartcard Services will work for most CACs and readers, however, if you do not see your CAC keychain in the Keychain Access.app after installing the Smartcard Services package and inserting your CAC in the card reader, then I recommend using another free middleware called Centrify Express.

Aside from installing middleware, you need to download and import the DoD Root and Intermediate Certificates in your Keychain Access. Most of the DoD certificates are available if you add the "SystemCACertificates" keychain using the File > Add Keychain option and navigating through the folders to Macintosh HD > System > Library > Keychains. You need to download and import a few certificates into the "login" keychain, such as DOD ROOT CA 2 (3 certificates total), DOD ROOT CA 3, and any intermediate certificates that issued the certificates on your CAC, which are greater than DOD CA-30 (such as DOD CA-31, DOD EMAIL CA-31, DOD CA-32, DOD EMAIL CA-32, DOD ID CA-33, DOD EMAIL CA-33, DOD ID CA-34, DOD EMAIL CA-34, etc.). Go to the Cross-Certificate Chaining Issue page to download two zip files (i.e.Certificates_PKCS7_v4.1u4_DoD.zip and unclass-irca1_dodroot_ca2.zip, then use the File > Import Certificate option to add the certificates to the "login" keychain. All DoD Intermediate Certificates are available for download (one-by-one) from the DoD PKI Management website at https://crl.gds.disa.mil/ (download the Certificate Authority Certificate, not the Certificate Revocation List, i.e. CRL) for each certificate.

Company: Southwest I.T. Solutions

accessing military websites on mac, using CAC also with new update EL CAPTAIN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.