Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Alternatives to Typing are Available in OS X?

I have severe bilateral arm and hand pain, for whatever reason. I also have coordination problems, so can only type with one hand, have to disable complex gestures on the trackpad, and keep accidentally triggering unwanted gestures on touch devices.

My right arm hurts more after typing. My arms hurt anyway, but it doesn't help.

I have tried "Dictation." I even bought an external microphone. I had no success. It would misinterpret "a" as "hey" or "A," it would drop spaces and add capital letters, it would misinterpret many other common words, sometimes as slurs, and other things. I think it took as much typing to fix the results as it would've taken to type the whole thing in the first place.

I have now also tried "Ink," with a graphics tablet. I had no success. It would miss letters and strokes and turn the results into gibberish.

I am at a loss.

Any ideas?

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 8:38 PM

18 replies

Nov 5, 2015 9:39 PM in response to Marja E

Not to sound like some advertisement for one or another product, after a few

searches, the name Dragon comes up; it is not free and the cost starts at $200.

to have 'Dragon for Mac, version 5 for OS X' from Nuance software. They offer

a 30-day money-back, and also in one of their web pages, has this youtube:

Take an introductory tour of Dragon for Mac

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDBfEsZC8yY

'Dragon for Mac' software

Learn more

I've not used nor tried any third party dictation, years ago I played with the idea

of trying the voices & recording options in early MacOS (pre-X) system software.

The ability of the computer to read text and also to say anything required repeat

training. The newest products seem to be better than earlier offerings, based on

the few and far between reviews I've seen in Mac-centric publications & online.

With a quality headset and microphone product, you may be able to use some

application such as this. There used to be a MacSpeech Dictate, and that has

become this, in so much as old links for MacSpeech redirect to Dragon/Nuance.

Most new products suggest they may be customized and the issues or accidental

results can be 'trained' away, so to dial-in the product more closely to your needs.

Since I'm a skeptic and prefer to have pre-buyer remorse (meaning I don't buy)

that can be a fiscally preferred way to avoid issues. Read and compare, IMHO.

However at about two hundred dollars, & up, I'd read their guarantee... 😎

PS: note vague results from search at duckduckgo...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=best+app+for+voice+dictation+for+Mac+OS+X&t=ffsb

{ the mention of this product - does not constitute a recommendation of any product }

Nov 8, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Marja E

According to Apple support articles and built-in Help results you should be able to easily use

and correct Dictation application in your OS X...

• Mac Basics: Dictation lets you speak text instead of typing - Apple Support

• OS X El Capitan: Control your Mac and apps using dictation commands - Apple Support

• Accessibility - Apple Support:

http://www.apple.com/support/accessibility/

• Dictation commands you can use in OS X - Apple Support

• Mac keyboard shortcuts for accessibility features - Apple Support

If you chose to try & use products from Nuance - Dragon, they have a discussion area:

http://nuance-community.custhelp.com/hives/5ac2abfd57/summary

http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/index.htm

While some other items appear from using browser search engines, carefully avoid

free and other questionable downloads from cnet, and other sites that may contain

malware or adware components; some of these can be trouble, not as they appear.

You may be able to learn how to use aspects of OS X Accessibility (built-in) along

with other features of OS X to make better use of the included software options.

Sorry to not be of much help...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Nov 8, 2015 11:55 AM in response to K Shaffer

For what its worth, you have discovered Apple Dictation cannot be trained or get better the more you use it. It either understands you or not. Other programs like Dragon Dictate have learning features that allow you to train the software for you voice and dialect. I've read that the various programs available work better for different people given the differences in voice and the differences in the algorithms.

Here are a couple of links you may find helpful.

http://voice-recognition-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/productivity/mavericks-dictation-vs-dragon-dict ate-comparison-review-3496166/

Nov 8, 2015 12:06 PM in response to K Shaffer

K Shaffer wrote:

According to Apple support articles and built-in Help results you should be able to easily use

and correct Dictation application in your OS X...

Those articles are wrong.

I've tried Enhanced Dictation in Mavericks and in Yosemite. I haven't tried it in El Capitan, but as discussed above, I wasn't able to use it in either Mavericks or Yosemite. I have only been able to correct it by trashing the gibberish and typing my own text. It is possible that it's taken that as confirmation of the gibberish. It has no visible way for users to give feedback on its inaccuracy.

I've also tried Enhanced Dictation commands. They don't work. I usually write in LibreOffice, which has limited support, but haven't had better luck in textedit, and copying and pasting to LibreOffice.

I've looked over the accessibility shortcuts. Most of them are inaccessible [command and option and one other key?], given my coordination problems [try doing those with one hand], and none of them would help with any of my disabilities.

Nov 8, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Marja E

There is plenty of information on Nuance software Dragon in the links I provided.

You may be able to upgrade past the entry-level if that should fail to impress, maybe

even in the first 30-days. Check out the many links & contact them...

My newest OS X is Mavericks 10.9(.5) as it shipped with my Apple Store clearance

Late 2012 Mac Mini, first booted in January this year. There are several good features

though I have not seriously used this mistaken purchase and am not too sure about

using the El Capitan upgrade since Yosemite is not offered at the App Store. Some

users had experienced graphic problems [hardware] after upgrade past Mavericks...

Some users of older OS X, such as Snow Leopard 10.6.8 in appropriate hardware,

had good use of the-then accessibility features that went under another name. My

other working Macs have OS X 10.5.8 & older; only one could use Snow Leopard.

Depending on the system setup you have, you could also run Windows via bootcamp

and have a satisfactory option (or so some have said) among other software titles...

Oh, there are peripheral USB foot controls for use with Mac and PC systems. They

can be set up and used to perform tasks for those with accessibility issues.

I knew some people who before industry considered making these, made their own

foot-mouse-device from mouse parts. Some of this was before USB, and had a few

issues; with USB some may not even require special software. Commercial example

of currently produced 'foot pedal/switch device' is in the following link; there are others.

Note the same company offers 'assistive computer products' in left side webpage.

•Foot Pedal & Food Switch for Keystroke and Mouse Click Emulation:

http://www.fentek-ind.com/FootPedal.htm

Perhaps a combination... however these will add expense to providing accessibility.

You may need to contact Apple Feedback and (knowing they likely won't reply) to

suggest how they should update or upgrade their OS X accessibility* functions.

• Apple Feedback:

Tell us how we’re doing.

Select the appropriate feedback option :

(we read everything, but can’t always respond)

Product Feedback

Website Feedback

Search Feedback

Developer Feedback

* This may be a place -- since Accessibility is built-in...

• Apple - Mac OS X - Feedback:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Hopefully you may find helpful means to a better solution.

Good luck in any event...! 😐

{PS: since most who reply here are not Apple employees & do not

represent the company, as a volunteer based peer-to-peer forum,

the opinions here do not necessarily represent even their authors.}

Nov 9, 2015 10:58 AM in response to Marja E

Although this isn't a refined answer at a level of full usefulness you likely need

another workaround for some aspects of keyboard use (one-hand) demo version.

(From the App Store.)

One-Hand Keyboard: Free One-Hand Typing*:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/one-hand-keyboard-free-one/id501185004?mt=12

Mirror-QWERTY: One-Hand Typing: (similar to above, separate listing)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mirror-qwerty-one-hand-typing/id496021762?mt=12

{See other paid software by same author, linked in above page; incl.}

* Description:

Free version of the one-hand typing keyboard layout that lets any former touch-typist type with one hand.

Use if you've broken your arm, fractured your wrist, lost a finger, or

have any other medical condition that limits the use of one hand.

•• NOTE: The free version of this app lets you type with one hand only in the app's practice window.

To type one-handed in any app or text field, please purchase the full version of One-Hand Keyboard.

One-Hand Keyboard app uses your existing two-hand typing muscle memory, so it's extremely easy

to learn. Your five fingers already know how to do the work of ten.

Former two-hand touch typists will be able to type with one hand in minutes.

How it works:
Examine a keyboard. The motion you use to type "G" is the same motion you use to type "H". Index

finger, home row, towards the center of the keyboard.

It's the same motion, but with the other hand. The keys "E" and "I" are also a pair: they're both middle

finger, top row.

If you are or were a touch-typist, your brain already knows how to make these substitutions.

So when you want to type a key on your bad hand, type the good-hand equivalent key instead. It's the

same finger, same motion as the key you should be typing, the only difference is that you're using your

good hand instead of the injured one.

So to type "this" with your left hand, you press the keys "tges". As you're typing, the program figures out the

most likely word for that combination of letters. So it types the word "this" despite you pressing the keys "tges".

Use the Caps-Lock key to toggle between the normal keyboard and the one-hand keyboard. When typing

a word with one hand, pressing the Tab key will cycle through available word options.

NOTE: Currently only works in English, with the standard QWERTY keyboard layout or the Dvorak keyboard

layout. More languages and keyboard layouts coming in the future. (the full working retail version costs, btw)

• One-Hand Keyboard: Free One-Hand Typing -- Support

There is more information on this version's features in the iTunes linked page above, and in the app.

{Did not research the cost for full working versions of this author's software. See their support link.

This may work with El Capitan. 😝

Nov 9, 2015 11:26 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thank you.

I have had a good deal of success typing one-handed on a small qwerty keyboard, rather than a specialized one-handed keyboard. I think that depends on whether you have an easier time moving back and forth across the keyboard, or an easier time coordinating chords. Macbook Air keyboards, and other flat keyboards less than about 4 1/2" x 11" should be pretty good, depending on your hand size.

Downsides are that (a) using the laptop keyboard may require a spill protector, which makes it harder to type, and (b) using an external keyboard may require extra desk space, (c) back and forth requires looking at the keys, and (d) back and forth requires a lot of wrist-twisting.

I would like a one-handed vertical keyboard like my vertical mouse, if I can find one and the desk space and usb ports. I tried a usb hub, but it was a pain, was erratic, and shut down my wifi.

Nov 11, 2015 1:07 AM in response to Marja E

A few other ideas, within older OS X accessibility, involve settings and the use of

'sticky keys' and the mouse; ie: you can click on single keys in Keyboard viewer.

Selecting them, however, requires single movements for each; unlike a quality

voice control method for the computer that would allow customizing the full OS.

Use on-screen keyboard in OS X?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/guides/keyboard_easier/onscreen/mac/os_x/inde x.shtml

Use keyboard with one hand in OS X?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/guides/keyboard_easier/one_handed/mac/os_x/in dex.shtml

Find a keyboard or mouse hard to use?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/guides/movement_index.shtml

You could turn on and customize keys in the keyboard preference panel, and these may help

make use of settings in the 'universal access' system preference panel, in older OS X versions.

There may be some suppliers of peripheral devices such as you'd need, however

to locate them may be almost impossible unless you can narrow the search to those

companies or businesses which cater to persons with accessibility issues.

Inclusive Technologies?

http://www.inclusive.co.uk/useful/index.shtml

A USB ten-key, not part of keyboard, if the keyfaces were changed and could be 'function shifted'

in software or its firmware, to work as a smaller keyboard for letters and numbers, would be OK.

Someone must be making these, if not for accessibility users, for those with space considerations.

Not a mainstream necessity; and by far, would be less trouble to accurately control a computer without

having to stand by a giant display and rub ones arms, hands, & change postures, just to make it work...!

And some of the problem is when software makers choose to capitalize on one method of input to use

a product; such as touch-based devices. And those which use giant displays, yet waste a lot of space.

{If you choose to attempt to upgrade an OS X, be sure to look into all angles first... you may find the

idea may be compelling or helpful in one aspect; but may cause some difficulty in other aspects. To

get a later different computer or device that can use a newer OS X or iOS, and keep your old one

as it is, at least keeps what you have now intact, for awhile longer. Even if not convenient to use...

You may need to discuss the situation with an expert at an Apple store, and hope they listen well.}

Well, if I find anything else, I may attempt to post back here. My life away from an online-device-world

is rather limiting my actual living; I try to help others, & haven't anyone to help me accomplish my tasks.

Oh well...

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

Jan 17, 2016 8:11 PM in response to Marja E

I still need help here. Dragon can be quite expensive and the website isn't accessible. In reader view, they have one paragraph and a link to a video. Dragon 4.0 is much cheaper than 5.0.

http://www.nuance.com/for-individuals/by-product/dragon-for-mac/software/index.h tm

Outside reader view, they have more, but it's hard to read, and it doesn't answer the compatibility questions.

Their forum has only two posts mentioning LibreOffice, and both are for 3.0, which is two versions out of date.

Jan 17, 2016 9:50 PM in response to Marja E

Hello Marja, First, I should tell you that not many are likely to respond to this old thread. You are better off starting a new post and linking to this one as reference to gain more visibility.

Dragon is not inexpensive but they are a leader and have a 30 day money back guarantee. The price is what it is. If price is the deciding issue then you should try other alternatives first. Other dictation providers are listed in the article http://voice-recognition-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ As stated before, different voice recognition software works better for different people depending on their accent and the software programming. I don't think you can avoid just trying them and seeing what works best for you.

As for LibreOffice / Dragon compatibility, you are not likely to get much feedback from Apple's Community. I suggest you post a similar thread as this one on LibreOffice's Forum. http://en.libreofficeforum.org/

Jan 17, 2016 11:10 PM in response to UGADog

One fair reason for starting a new discussion, is when enough new is known about

the old situation to not need to reference the previous discussion; so the same items

are not repeated by anyone who considers to offer an opinion.

A new thread with a link in it, back to this old one, may be an idea.

A lengthy added-on old discussion is only good of someone chose to read back through

to see what had been said, and in relation to vintage hardware (old Mac) in use, that is

part of the issue when looking to new software solutions; a new configuration would be

a reasonable solution if costs were no object.

Another idea may be to see about locating an older version (from legitimate reseller online)

of a vintage Dragon Nuance, from the era of the computer used by the original posted topic.

One may be available from an amazon affiliate or other online source; but which one?

An older version retail software with registration number (as needed) may be OK.

To expect support from the maker, would be a stretch. Unless that maker could be a

potential source for a retail version for an older OS X... That may be worth an inquiry.

Happened to notice recent activity here earlier; had little new to add, until now.😎

Jan 18, 2016 7:20 AM in response to K Shaffer

I don't understand why I should start yet another new thread about this. I've started a fair number, and replied to more. Every time I start yet another new thread, I have to explain *everything* all over again.

"A lengthy added-on old discussion is only good of someone chose to read back through to see what had been said, and in relation to vintage hardware (old Mac) in use, that is part of the issue when looking to new software solutions; a new configuration would be a reasonable solution if costs were no object."

I don't understand.

I bought a Macbook because I can't go to stores and test accessibility, screen brightness [the painful store lighting interferes], processor noise [store noise interferes], driver compatibility [I was using Linux, the stores had them with Windows], ability to disable tapping and gestures [ditto], etc. in stores.

I can't buy a new confguration if I don't know I can use the new stuff. and I don't know. Apple is increasingly fond of touch devices and gestures. I have to disable tapping and gestures to use anything. Apple is increasingly fond of bright screens, painful animation, etc. I have to stick a book in front of the monitor to block the animation to use certain system preferences.

Jan 18, 2016 11:28 AM in response to Marja E

The latest version of Dragon nuance related software is intended for recent OS X versions

that run on best on newer hardware in these computers, so it tends to relate to the push in

any platform that in order to use the latest software one may need to upgrade hardware...

If someone at Dragon in their customer service happens to know if their older version is

still available (and if you cannot run the most recent OS X to handle recent Dragon; or don't

want to upgrade to new computer hardware if that happens to relate to this matter) an older

version may suffice and be adequate. However reviews suggest their newer one is better.

The interface tools required to use an older version should be more basic; to ones you have.

I'm not a big fan of change for the sake of change, or to create something new only to be

making something new. Some products and ideas are worth re-cycling into the future...

The suggestion for you to not continue in your old thread was not mine; but if one were to

start a new thread, the problem (as I suggested earlier) would be to not get the same retread

of suggestions you've already tried. I'd hoped to not have to explain 'the obvious' but I do see

it across duplicate threads, some by the same authors; only vaguely different when repeated.

Sorry to not be of any additional help in this matter. I suggest you contact the maker(s) of the

kind of software you may need to see if they have some version that can work on your Mac.

Something from a different field of endeavor may be helpful. For use in a place where the

traditional keyboard, mouse, & two handed use would be nearly impossible. That would cost.

For the most part, the topic is covered in this thread; you will have to experiment with the

products (and see if their trial period is helpful) to choose something that could work out.

Good luck in regard to progress in this matter & to resolving the status quo... 😐

Jan 19, 2016 1:38 PM in response to K Shaffer

Well, I have been trying to find a better keyboard. My current external keyboard has four potentially-useful but very-badly positioned keys for "Home," "Page Up," "Page Down," and "End," on the right side, where I keep hitting them when I need to hit "Backspace," or "Enter."

Apparently this is standard for compact keyboards.

It is ridiculous for clumsy users who need compact keyboards for one-handed use.

What Alternatives to Typing are Available in OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.