Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

replace thermal paste

Quad Powermac G5 2.5 late 2005

I am looking for a step by step guide on how to replace the thermal paste only on a quad 2.5 LCS assembly(dual pump later version). I can make good inferences from some complete LCS tear downs but none solely devoted to just processor card(s) removal and reassembly. Does anyone have a good link?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Nov 5, 2015 9:49 PM

7 replies

Nov 10, 2015 5:35 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you! This is nice because I can download it. I found this one on scribed but don't have a subscription so I could not download it. I discovered this morning that, as I have the LCS version 2, that the long handled 2.5 T wrench I bought is not enough and that you have to have a long handled 3 mm as well. I just ordered that. Japamac recommends the arctic silver mx3 paste in a thread in which you were involved a bit back. In the meantime, I am this close to buying a Mac Pro 2010 Apple refurb just to be safe. If I buy the MacPro, I may strip this one down and use the Arctic silver on the backside logic board heatsink.

Nov 19, 2015 4:28 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, I would have been terrified for years to try but If I get a Mac Pro then I have my fail safe. I also looked on Ebay and you can buy complete refurbished quad LCS assemblies with processors for around 180 USD. I have all the tools now. I just need to find the link to Japamac's recommendation for which arctic silver to use and order it. .

replace thermal paste

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.