Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies on AppleTV4 - Chapters and homesharing

I am shocked that there is no more possibility to skip a chapter on a movie or to direct jump to a chapter within the movie.

As I am watching a lot of concert-movies this feature is essential.

The Apple TV3 had a lot of features that were not migrated to Apple TV 4 like

buffering a movie completely from iTunes homesharing to watch it continously.

As long as this is not possible I have to go back to my older AppleTV.

Please Apple at least provide some informations about the roadmap of TvOS and the missing features so we as customers can decide if we keep the Apple TV 4 or it is better to send it back.

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 5:02 AM

7 replies

Nov 11, 2015 1:30 PM in response to H3LLRAISER

I'm also puzzled after finding out that there's no way to show or use chapters anymore? On the Mac it's part of iTunes, it's part of Quicktime, it's part of Quicklook and on iOS it's part of the video app.

Purchasable movies are sold as having chapters.

So why is this feature missing on Apple TV 4? The online manual states that chapters can be selected (if available in the videofile) by swiping down on the remote. But that only shows me audio, subtitle and movie info.

Extremely annoying and disappointing

Nov 11, 2015 11:27 PM in response to Albert NL

Agreed. Missing chapter options is a huge oversight Apple. A few things I like about the ATV4, lots I don't.... that remote is a nightmare to use in a room with dimmed lighting. Can't find/feel for buttons. Do I have the remote the right way up or upside down and that touch pad (yuk).... I miss the down button for fast scrolling.... swipe swipe swipe, so annoying!

Afraid to say, this is the first Apple product I will be returning. Opened it up last night, boxing it up this morning for a refund. Kids will be upset but it's not just about game playing for us.

Sorry, bit off topic in parts but missing chapter feature.... Just crazy!

Nov 29, 2015 2:55 AM in response to stefdude

Hey stefdude,

you are right. I bought the mchapter software from the Appstore and tried it on my own movies.

You really found the issue, it works. If you swipe down during the movie you find the selection.🙂

Unfortunately it does not solve the problem on the iTunes movies, because they are DRM protected and mChapters does not work with them. 😢

Any idea how this can be handled?

Cheers

Stefan

Nov 29, 2015 7:53 AM in response to H3LLRAISER

Hi Stefan,

It works fine with my iTunes movies

Only my homemade movies had the problem

My apple TV is set to English, did you try to set the Apple TV to English?

I must say that I could not fix all home made movies, but most

Also there is no thumbnail with the chapters, and if using long chapter names, one name is overwritten by the next one, so you get blurry text..

The original iTunes movies have thumbnails chapters...

I do think a fix in the Apple TV is needed

Stephan

Feb 6, 2016 11:24 AM in response to stefdude

THank you alot,

I use a few atv3's and now also 1 atv4, but i couldn't get the chapters to show up in the info sceen.

now I can verify that the problem was solved when I changed the atv language to english instead of my own language which is dutch.

so for some reason the movies I buy in the dutch itunes store wont give any chapters when the atv is not set to english, very strange, it's no big problem but just strange.

so thx for the tip, I would not have come up with that 🙂

Movies on AppleTV4 - Chapters and homesharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.