Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to move iPhoto

My iMac started running slower than normal, I have a bunch of pictures in iPhoto so I thought if I moved iPhoto & its contents then it would free up some space & maybe run at the speed that it used to. I have iPhoto 9.5.1 & my iMac has OSX 10.9.5 software, I will be using My Passport for Mac for the external hard drive.

How do I move iPhoto & all of the contents?

Thank you

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 11:55 AM

You drag the iPhoto library to a volume formatted as Mac OS Extended, launch iPhoto with the Option key held down, choose that library, and back it up to a second external drive. The iPhoto application should be left where it is.

(135887)

5 replies

Nov 6, 2015 10:26 AM in response to CandiiMac

• Quit iPhoto, if it is running.
  • Drag the iPhoto Library to the external drive, but leave the iPhoto application in the Applications folder.

By default your iPhoto Library will be in your Pictures folder.

Once the iPhoto Library has been moved, double-click it to open it in iPhoto. Test it thoroughly, before you delete the original from the system drive.

Any external drive to be used with an iPhoto Library needs to be formatted MAcOS Extended (Journaled), see: iPhoto: Issues with FAT32-formatted drives

Nov 6, 2015 12:35 PM in response to CandiiMac

Most changes in El Capitan are under the hood. The system software and system libraries changed considerably. The system is smaller, much legacy code has been rewritten or removed, the code is more efficient, more security features. But that means, that many older applications are no longer fully compatible with the new system. Before you decide to upgrade make an inventory of your current software and check, if it will be combatible with El Capitan or if updates will be available.

Is there a way to move iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.