Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport software compatible USB adapter?

This is a long shot, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

My latest project is a late-2005 G5 beast (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_dual_2.0.htm l), which came without Airport card.

I already have an Edimax USB N adapter that works a treat with the Edimax Leopard drivers, so that's not my issue. The problem is, while it can access the Internet just fine, it cannot "talk" to my other Airport-based Macs (all Intel, except for a G4 PowerBook), and they can't access it either.

So my question is --is there a USB wireless adapter out there that can work directly with the Airport software?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 11:46 AM

17 replies

Nov 6, 2015 6:45 PM in response to Jitanjafora

I already have an Edimax USB N adapter that works a treat with the Edimax Leopard drivers, so that's not my issue. The problem is, while it can access the Internet just fine, it cannot "talk" to my other Airport-based Macs (all Intel, except for a G4 PowerBook), and they can't access it either.

I do not understand this. When I do file sharing, I set up the system with static ip addresses. You should look at all your local ip addresses. They all need to be in the same domain. They all need to connect to the same router. Also, I got this addressing scheme to work. Other schemes I did not get to work. I know there are other ways of doing this & I could never figure out why some other configuration do not work, but doing the about got the star for me.

I use: 192.168.0.x x > 0 and x < 255

192.168.0.1 for gateway.

You should start by doing pings between the devices.

Nov 7, 2015 2:35 PM in response to Jitanjafora

I'm not sure what's going on. The issue seemed to fix itself after a reboot of my G5, but now it's back.

The IP addresses have not changed at all. Subnet mask and router addresses are the default ones and the same for all computers, and my G5's IP is 192.168.0.16 with wireless on, none without. I have not set it as fixed --in fact, I haven't fiddled with the network settings at all-- but it's always the same.

P.S. FWIW, my G5 is connected to my Intel Mini by teleport. Works perfectly, including dragging and dropping files between computers.

Nov 20, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Jitanjafora

The ip address for your computers default to dhcp. What ip address you get will be by the order you boot the computers. How are you connecting to the other systems? What apps? What apps are you using to talk to the other systems? What protocol?

I suggest you change to static ip addresses for your computers. It's less hassle. And you do not have to mess with some name server. Using static ip address isn't highly sophisticated by it gets the job done. One of your computers could be using an "old" ip address and not finding the computer. You would need to reboot all and check their ip address.

R

Airport software compatible USB adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.