Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library

Since I have loaded ElCapitan on my IMAC. Photos Library is not available for Itunes neither for IMovie (the library doesn't appear in the menu). However, I am able to watch my photos when I open the App Photos. This issue prevents to sync with AppleTv and other IOS devices and I cannot make films with Imovie using resources in Photos.

I have reloaded twice ElCapitan and also rebuilt the Library Photos but the problem remains.

Is there somebody who faced such an issue. What is the solution?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), IMAC on El Capitan 10.11.1

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 12:16 PM

Photos Library is not available for Itunes neither for IMovie (the library doesn't appear in the menu).

Only your System Photo Library is available in the Media Browser for other applications.

Have you enabled the Photos Library as your System Photo Library in the Photos > Preferences > General?

"Use as System Photo Library" should be greyed out. Is it?

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2015 12:16 PM in response to philippefromsèvres

Photos Library is not available for Itunes neither for IMovie (the library doesn't appear in the menu).

Only your System Photo Library is available in the Media Browser for other applications.

Have you enabled the Photos Library as your System Photo Library in the Photos > Preferences > General?

"Use as System Photo Library" should be greyed out. Is it?

Nov 6, 2015 1:24 PM in response to philippefromsèvres

Can other applications see your Photos Library? Pages, Prview, Safari?

Have you updated to the latest versions of iTunes and iMovie?

You may have a corrupted iPod Photo Cache in your Photos Library. Try to remove it as describrd here, and then restart the system:

iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Where is your Photos Library stored? Is it stored locally in your Pictures folder or on an external drive?

And have you tried to repair the Photos Library? See this page: https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.0/?lang=en#/pht6be18f93

Nov 7, 2015 3:10 AM in response to philippefromsèvres

Hello Léonie. First of all, thank you for your help. The Photo Library is in the Picture folder. I have done all your tips: Rebuild the Photo Library, Removed the iPod Photo Cache as well as the Apple TV Photo Cache, rebooted the IMac and I am stil in the same situation. Everything works except that there is none of the application that sees the Photo Library.

If I open Photos, All my Photos are there but neither IMovie, ITunes or Mail works with Photos. I have no Photo Library appearing in IMovie, when I try to sync with ITunes, the Mac send a message saying "The Photos Library is not yet available, try again later" and I cannot load Photos on Mail (I don't use Pages and I do not know how to check Photos on Safari).

I am completely lost! I have an MacBook Pro for my job and it works fine. I have compared every single menu between each other, no differences. What to do?

Nov 7, 2015 11:38 PM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie. I have made again all the tips you gave me with the Terminal App, rebooted and the good news is that now, my Photo Library is available within IMovie (Congrats and Thanks a lot). However, I remain unable to sync my IOS and AppleTV devices through iTunes. I still receive the message "Your Photo Library is not available for the moment. Retry later".

Regarding the "Share Button" in Photo, in fact, it worked after selecting a picture (I screwed up). Obviously, when no photos are selected, the button remains greyed out.

Therefore, only Itunes looks to have difficulties to work fine with Photos.

Nov 8, 2015 12:12 AM in response to philippefromsèvres

Therefore, only Itunes looks to have difficulties to work fine with Photos.

Which version of iTunes do you have installed? Is it the latest version, iTunes 12.3.1?

Is your Photos Library an iCloud Photo Library, and maybe still syncing with iCloud?

Added: Have a look at this discussion: Re: Photos Library is not yet available

Try to keep Photos open over night, so all background tasks can finish.

Nov 8, 2015 6:34 AM in response to léonie

I have made all the manipulations you proposed me and it looks like now, IMovie and Mail have access to the Photo Library (I am not sure it is still very stable but it looks to work).

I have looked at the link about the sync and made also all the manipulations with no success so far. However, one of the writer explains that he had to keep Photos open overnight before Itunes sync recovered. I am going to test this solution but again, thank you very much for your valuable support. If you come to Paris, you're my guest. 🙂

Nov 8, 2015 11:45 AM in response to léonie

Every works fine finally. You have been very helpful.

It looks like when you have a large Photo Library, you have to open it for a long time (few hours) for other Apps to get the full plugin and be able to use its content. However, I believe that all the processes you invited me to apply were solving the overall issue.

Thanks again.

Photos Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.