Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen after partitioning disk

Specs:

500 GB MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

OS X El Capitan 10.11.1

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I am trying to install Windows 10 using Boot Camp with a USB 2.0 16GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide and a 64-bit ISO file I got directly from Microsoft, but I'm unable to.

I successfully get through the Mac part of the Boot Camp Assistant. It finishes setting up the drives on the USB, and it finishes partitioning the disk. As soon as you would expect it to boot into Windows to start the installation process, it boots into a black screen with no words on the screen and no cursor. From what I can tell, Boot Camp properly reboots the computer using the Windows partition. I tried shutting it down and restarting, but every time I try to go to the Windows partition, I still only get the black screen. I've tried multiple times with multiple ISO files, and I still get the same problem.

The Mac OS works fine. To get back to Mac OS X, I've had to hard reset and then hold down alt/option to choose the Mac OS X partition instead.

I've tried chatting with Apple support, but they couldn't help.

The ISO file doesn't seem to be the problem. Just to test it, I ran the file on a virtual machine (VirtualBox), and it worked fine. I didn't bother going very far into the installation process on the VM, but I think it's safe to say that the Windows file itself works as intended.

What is going on, and how do I fix it?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 13", Mid-2012

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 2:13 PM

39 replies

Nov 6, 2015 3:43 PM in response to ScoutFire

What seems kind of strange to me is that, when I remove the Windows partition using Boot Camp, I can still select it after restarting and holding option. When I select it after removing the partition with Boot Camp, selecting the "Windows" partition gives me exactly the same result as when I have the partition: a blank screen.

Nov 7, 2015 8:10 AM in response to ScoutFire

On your Mac, W10 is being installed with EFI Boot, but the 2012 Mac does not support EFI boot properly. When you remove the Windows partition using BCA, there are remnants in the EFI partition of the W10 Microsoft parts (it is being used as a S: - System Reserved drive) which are not removed. Please see Can't resize Macintosh HD partition (third page and onwards) on how to check for the EFI parts.

I suggest cleaning the EFI part (after a full backup of OS X) or a backup, Internet Recovery, erase, restore cycle and instilling Windows 10 using the Windows icon (not the EFI Boot icon).

The design of the W10/BCA interaction on 2012 Macs is very poor, and the implicit assumption is that a user will upgrade from an existing W7/W8.1 which will be in place using legacy BIOS/MBR method.

Black screen after partitioning disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.