Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 remote broke

Anyone knows of a good 3rd party replacement of this poor quality Apple TV 4 Remote?

I love my new Apple TV, Great apps, games and everything was good for a couple of hours playing and configuring everything... and then it happened... oops I dropped it, not a big deal ha? wrong... the remote is made of GLASS, who in **** thought that it's a good idea to create a remote with gyro capabilities made of glass?

Anyway, should have come with a warning, do not drop, do not play, do not share with your kids.... just feels that someone at apple intentionally thought it's a good idea to make a glass remote and then charge $80 for replacing it when you drop it even once... I had my Apple TV 2 for god knows how many years, dropped the remote dozens of times if not more and nothing happened...

So, how do you protect your investment? it's a Bluetooth device...so IR replacement are not working.

The apple tv remote app is not supported either...

Apple TV, iOS 9

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 5:28 PM

19 replies

Jan 1, 2017 3:06 PM in response to suffix101

We just found our remote on the floor with cracked glass. Went to the Apple store and was shocked that Apple is charging $79 for a replacement. Apple really screwed up with the design of this remote. Remotes get left on couches, sat on, and fall all the time. Plus they repeated the user interface design flaw of the original round imac mouse: it is very difficult to feel whether the remote is correctly oriented when you pick it up. If I had known the remote was so fragile and so expensive to replace I would not have purchased the Apple TV. We have three older Apple TVs in the house--all with working remotes. One of them is an original Apple TV with the hard drive. We had planned to upgrade these, but I won't be buying anything from apple with such a fragile remote. I also refused to buy a replacement remote, telling the Apple employee that they were crazy to charge so much. He was also shocked at the price. Apple is really messing up recently. For now the old remote still works and I will use my iphone as well, but unless Apple corrects this issue we will look to one of the many Apple TV competitors.

Mar 15, 2017 1:35 AM in response to Terahouse

Well if u don't want to but a new remote just get the Apple TV remote app . It's free and they have most functions including Siri. My only problem is that I have 2 Samsung in the same room and the remote allowed only the one connected to the tv to turn off but now that I use the app I have the issue of one turning on while the other turns off.

Jun 3, 2017 7:22 AM in response to Terahouse

Until recently I've firmly believed the Amstrad E-m@iler was the most ridiculous tech device ever invented but the Siri remote has it beat handsomely. I've had an ATV4 for about a week. Today, my son – who's three – knocked the remote (black) fell of the arm of the sofa (also black) onto the floor while trying to pause Dinosaur Train. Of course it smashed but rather than simply crazing, the glass shattered on a hardwood floor. So, he's upset and trying to push the shards back into place WITH HIS FINGERS when I find him.

He's on an age where I'd I'd never considered giving him a glass tumbler or any sort of proper crockery but this possibility completely passed me by. I mean, who the **** builds a remote control out of (non-toughened) glass? Have Apple completely lost the plot?

Nov 6, 2015 6:01 PM in response to Terahouse

I'm not aware of any 3rd party replacements for the primary Siri remote that comes with the ATV4. You can use the older aluminum remotes with the new ATV but you'll be missing Siri and some of the other functionality.

When I purchased my Apple TV they offered Apple Care but I declined. This has me wondering whether it would cover a shattered remote. In that case it might be worth it.

Dec 19, 2015 11:16 AM in response to God_Father

I have the same question.

I've had my apple tv 4 for about a month. After a week my kid accidently dropped the remote, it broke, I had to buy a replacement remote for NOK800.. I thought it was expensive. So I googled about and found a remote case: https://griffintechnology.com/us/survivor-play-for-siri-remote. I ordered this the same day as the new remote. The new remote arrived from apple after 3 days to Norway, the case from griffin hasn't arrived yet. So guess what, my kid dropped the remote again just now, from a height of about 30cm above the floor. And the remote broke yet again.

So for Apple's build quality its a 2 broken remotes out of 2 chances. I mean, new Apple tv 4 is designed for the whole family, with apps for kids and so on. Who on earth would have a glass top on a remote kids are going to use. A glass top that seems to break if you look at it too hard.. The biggest design flaw from apple i have seen yet..

So now I'm torn, scrapping apple tv all together and go for chromecast instead, or to buy yet a new remote, for double the cost of chromecast, and hope for the case i ordered from Griffin 10 days ago shows up. Used to be all into apple until this, now I'm not so sure anymore.. Apple TV 4 was a bit of a let down too, with no siri support for norwegian either.. Hmm..

Jan 18, 2016 9:39 AM in response to Superland

The same happened to me. This remote controller is not for children despite all the apps/games designed for them. Its nasty to find it out at your expense, 89€ is half the price of the full appleTV box.

And not only children, the controller can slip out of the hands to anyone, it is very thin.

The glass on top of it is a very bad idea, I'm pretty sure a new controller will have the same fate, it's just a matter of time.

...and the support service neither offers a discount for replacement...

My suggestion is to protect your controller with a cover when you use it (if you are able to get one), and close it in a safety box when you don't (given the price 🙂 ).

Jan 18, 2016 11:40 AM in response to ofblack

Happened to me as well. The Apple TV Siri remote used to drop on the wooden floor without any problem. Changed the setting of the table and while moving it dropped from not more than 1 feet on a tile and the screen cracked. Luckily, it is still working but looks horrible. I have put a scotch tape on the top to hold it together before it breaks into a million pieced and becomes totally unusable. And yes, the touch screen still works (no diminished sensitivity)

Apple should use a better glass (like a gorilla glass) for this delicate and expensive piece of hardware (CAD $100 in Canada). A silicon cover would help (if I could find one).

As I read above, it wont be replaced by apple, although I haven't tried but I expect these remotes to be a bit sturdy (like the aluminum remote before). They are constantly being used by the whole household for games, Netflix, youtube etc.

For those who still have their Siri remote intact, I propose putting some tape or those phone screen protectors. After putting the scotch tape, I didn't notice any deterioration in the touch sensitivity. So go ahead, save your remotes!

Mar 19, 2016 10:56 AM in response to Terahouse

UGH!! I know the feeling ... why Apple made a TV remote with GLASS is beyond me... I mean, really Apple?? ... ***?!

User uploaded file

Reality check to Apple: We drop remotes! They get stuck in couch cushions, buried in our lap during movies only to drop when we get up. Or, now with the Siri Remote, kids play games and it slips from their hands, etc. etc.

Anyway, I HIGHLY recommended buying a case for this thing. @ $80 replacement it's worth the extra $15 bucks.

Here is one on Amazon for cheap (Apple TV Remote Case):

User uploaded file

Apple TV 4 remote broke

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.