Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade my early 2011 MBP with Samsung 850 EVO?

So, I just went to Fry's this afternoon, trying to upgrade my MBP with a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO.

Brought the SSD to the technician center, just to make sure everything works fine. Unfortunately, they made it so I'm convinced that I can't upgrade it by my own hands without having problems, thus they asked for about $170 to do the job, which is crazy ****.

So first, the capacity I have in my MBP HDD is 318.84GB. Since the SSD that I was trying to purchase has smaller capacity, they said that I would have a problem with the "cloning" of files or whatever it is. I don't even get it.

Then I just decided to completely restart my system, getting rid of all of my files in the storage, start a fresh new one with solely the SSD. but they said that the OS reinstallment is going to be tricky or troubled.

I had to cancel the purchase, I'd rather do it my own and save the cash where I can get even another SSD just for their service. but I don't know how. Can someone give me a procedure to completely install a Samsung 850 EVO on early 2011 MBP with no problems? and what would I need though? If it's true that the cloning is going to be a trouble, then I'd be willing not to restore my current datas.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 6, 2015 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 12:14 AM

Since the SSD that I was trying to purchase has smaller capacity, they said that I would have a problem with the "cloning" of files or whatever it is.

Of course that's nonsense. The SSD's capacity must be sufficient for whatever you want to put on it. That's all.

Use Disk Utility. Search its Help function for "Restore a disk". The SSD must obviously be mounted which means you will need to purchase an inexpensive enclosure for it.

Having said that I do not recommend purchasing a Samsung SSD unless you have a way to install firmware upgrades for it should that be required, and the only methods I know of for that model require Microsoft Windows. Firmware upgrades are often required for compatibility with OS X upgrades. If you want to avoid that uncertainty, purchase a SSD from OWC / MacSales instead of Fry's. OWC's firmware updater runs on a Mac. Also, reports of problems with that model SSD occasionally appear on this site. Problems with OWC's SSDs are practically unheard of.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2015 12:14 AM in response to drewjon

Since the SSD that I was trying to purchase has smaller capacity, they said that I would have a problem with the "cloning" of files or whatever it is.

Of course that's nonsense. The SSD's capacity must be sufficient for whatever you want to put on it. That's all.

Use Disk Utility. Search its Help function for "Restore a disk". The SSD must obviously be mounted which means you will need to purchase an inexpensive enclosure for it.

Having said that I do not recommend purchasing a Samsung SSD unless you have a way to install firmware upgrades for it should that be required, and the only methods I know of for that model require Microsoft Windows. Firmware upgrades are often required for compatibility with OS X upgrades. If you want to avoid that uncertainty, purchase a SSD from OWC / MacSales instead of Fry's. OWC's firmware updater runs on a Mac. Also, reports of problems with that model SSD occasionally appear on this site. Problems with OWC's SSDs are practically unheard of.

Nov 7, 2015 12:57 AM in response to drewjon

Here is a step by step procedure of the harddrive swap from Ifixit https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Late+2011+Hard+Drive+Re placement/7656

And here is the tutorial from OWC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md8grI-mGVA&spfreload=10

Please note that they only explain the physical harddrive swap. You will need to transfer all your files like John Galt Explained to you. Or you can use a time machine back up to do the same.

Hope this helps!

Nov 7, 2015 1:17 AM in response to John Galt

I don't really wanna risk based on the uncertainty honestly but knowing that the EVO is obviously the best selling SSD so far, and I've never heard about the OWC nor reviews on its performance. I know that half of the internet say that they have faced problems installing the EVO on a Mac. Shouldn't there be any more alternatives beside the OWC though? Would you check this out for me and see if it will have all I need like the firmware upgrades?

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/macbook-pro-%2813-inch%2C-early-2011%29/CT6700216

Nov 7, 2015 7:55 AM in response to drewjon

No. I can only provide comments for products that I have used myself.

Crucial's website indicates firmware updates are available for Macs and PCs. Their "Manual Boot File for Windows and Mac®" contains Firmware Update Instructions but it is Microsoft Windows-specific. Draw your own conclusions. I'm sure you can find a way to make it work, but you'll be on your own with that.

OWC's representatives been known to participate on this site. I'm not aware of any Crucial participation.

How do I upgrade my early 2011 MBP with Samsung 850 EVO?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.