Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mobile Device will not install. At all.

When running the iTunes installer, everything will install but AMDS, it simply says "Rolling back action" regardless of whether my iPad/iPhone is plugged in. I've tried removing everything all iTunes components and reinstalling them but AMDS will just not install. I think there is something left over from when I attempted to do the iTunes 10.3.1 update and it corrupted but I cannot seem to find anything, I've even gone as far as contacting Apple but they don't seem to understand, they ask to stop the AMDS service then uninstall it from the control panel but I can't because it's not installed.

Extra info:

- I'm running a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro

- iTunes was initially installed and working but when I tried updating to the newer version (when iOS 9 came out) the upgrade hung and then corrupted after I force quitted it

- I've tried removing iTunes and all the leftover files I could find (Common Files etc)

- Extracted the iTunes installer and tried installing AMDS separate, this is what happens.

- Other programs are installing fine, no problems.

I've been looking online to try and find a solution, nothing seems to exist, at least on the Apple discussions site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

PC-OTHER, Windows 10, Fresh Install

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 6:38 AM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

If you've tried the above without success then see the method in Install missing components. What component fails to install, and what error message does it give? See this post for steps to produce detailed logs of the installation which may reveal why iTunes won't install. Look for words like failed or error.

tt2

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2015 6:38 AM in response to CHarrisMedia

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

If you've tried the above without success then see the method in Install missing components. What component fails to install, and what error message does it give? See this post for steps to produce detailed logs of the installation which may reveal why iTunes won't install. Look for words like failed or error.

tt2

Nov 8, 2015 5:43 AM in response to turingtest2

HI, thanks alot for the reply, it seems like you've actually provided some very detailed and useful articles that I failed to find, probably due to my search queries. Once I get home I will look over the article more thoroughly and make another attempt to remove Everything Apple related before trying to reinstall a different version of iTunes.

Nov 11, 2015 12:02 PM in response to CHarrisMedia

I cannot say for certain, but this section starting at line 3688 might be relevant.

DIFXAPP: INFO: ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW

DIFXAPP: INFO: Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\NetDrivers\netaapl64.inf' (Plug and Play).

DIFXAPP: INFO: Could not open file C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\netaapl64.inf_amd64_56f23639c961 7984\netaapl64.inf. (Error code 0x3: The system cannot find the path specified.)

DIFXAPP: ERROR: PnP Install failed. (Error code 0x3EE: The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.)

DIFXAPP: INFO: Attempting to rollback ...

DIFXAPP: INFO: No devices to rollback

DIFXAPP: INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0x3EE)

Do you have any active anti-virus software that could be blocking things? What do you see inside

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\netaapl64.inf_amd64_neutral_56f23 639c9617984 ?

I see:

User uploaded file

I don't see the PNF file in the unpacked version of the AMDS MSI, and the file name of the DLL in the MSI is wdfcoinstaller0100964.dll. Perhaps if you manually extracted the missing files (assuming they are missing) and place them in the correct place it will work. If you see them on the other hand editing the security permissions might be in order. Look at other files and folders in the FileRepository for standard permissions.

tt2

Nov 30, 2015 1:25 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi, sorry about the late reply. I tried extracting some of the files from the AMDS installer into the DriverStore locations (I think there was around 3/4) and that didn't seem to change anything. I'm thinking there may be some drivers left over somewhere corrupted which is causing the install to fail because if any Apple device is plugged in whilst trying to install AMDS the installer will hang for around 2 seconds before going to the "Rolling back" phase, if the Apple devices are not present, this phase is entered almost instantly without any hang.

Dec 2, 2015 11:42 AM in response to turingtest2

Okay so finally the problem is fixed. Unbeknown to me, there was a pending Windows 10 which looks like it may have been the biggest since release, after installing this big update, I removed all traces of iTunes via the CCleaner uninstaller and then reinstalled, this seems to have fixed the problem! I thought this would be unfixable unless I restored which isn't something I was going to do but it seems like it's working great now. I'd like to thank you for the support you showed and quickness of the responses 🙂

Apple Mobile Device will not install. At all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.