Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to i make el capitan server act as a gateway to wifi

I have a macpro running El Capitan server with ethernet 1 connected to my cable modem. Ethernet 2 is connected to a wireless router. I would like all internet access for computers on my network to go through this server. I will also be hosting my own domain. While the macpro is connecting fine, of course, I cant get internet access on any network computers using ethernet or wifi. I've been at this a while. Rather than attempt to dissect what I've done, does anyone have a link to some comprehensive instructions on how to pull this off. I've been using the server tutorials but remain lost. Thank for helping.

OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 1:35 AM

2 replies

Nov 7, 2015 1:10 PM in response to markfrombryan

A Mac Pro makes a very expensive, difficult to configure — as you've discovered — and — if there are any mistakes with the configuration or installed software — comparatively risky gateway-router, and there are probably two and maybe three different routers here; the ISP box is often configured by default as a router, the Mac Pro given its position, and the Wi-Fi also usually defaults to being a router.

It's more typical and simpler to have a dedicated router — potentially with features such as an embedded VPN server — at the end of the network, and one subnet within the network. This might be the ISP box or — by reconfiguring the ISP box as a bridge — a gateway-router of your own.

But if you really want to use your Mac Pro here, then start reading about IP subnet routing and static routes, and pfctl, and realize there are some potential wrinkles with the default pfctl configuration.

how to i make el capitan server act as a gateway to wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.