Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to merge folders / repair itunes libraries?

Hey Guys

I'm using itunes now quite a long time and for some reason, over a period of time, itunes started to safe imported files to different folders. I do have music located on C:\Users\RobinHome\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music and on C:\Users\RobinHome\iTunes Music.

This wasn't a problem until i upgraded to Win 10 and imported the backup of itunes. The library was correct but itunes failed to link the library to the actual files. An exclamation mark appeared next to most tracks saying it would not find the original title.

I tried to merge the two folders with copy paste from windows and with the importing feature of itunes. It didn't work at all.

I'm really exhausted because i spent hours in completing this labraries and don't want to start all over again. I have over 10'000 songs listed in itunes. Maybe one of you can help me with this problem. Do you know how to fix this or do you know a tool which could be of good use?

Thank you very much in advance!

Robin

iPod nano (7th generation), Windows 10, null

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 9:53 AM

24 replies

Nov 7, 2015 10:45 AM in response to robin874

The "missing file" error happens if the file is no longer where iTunes expects to find it. Possible causes are that you or some third party tool has moved, renamed or deleted the file, one of its parent folders, or the drive it lives on has had a change of drive letter. It is also possible that iTunes has changed from expecting the files to be in the pre-iTunes 9 layout to post-iTunes 9 layout, or vice-versa, and so is looking in slightly the wrong place.

Select a track with an exclamation mark, use Ctrl-I to Get Info, then click No when asked to try to locate the track. Look on the summary tab for the location that iTunes thinks the file should be. Now take a look around your hard drive(s). Hopefully you can locate the track in question. If a section of your library has simply been moved, a folder renamed, or a drive letter has changed, it should be possible to reverse the actions. If the difference between the two paths is an additional Music folder in one path then this is a layout issue. I can explain further if that is the case. If everything is where it is supposed to be try Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows.

In some cases iTunes may be able to repair itself if you go through the same steps with Get Info but this time click Locate and browse to the lost track. It may then offer to attempt to automatically fix other broken links. Although it says something like "use the same location" I think it expects to find the tracks in the same artist & album layout they were in previously, with one systematic change to the path.

If another application like Windows Media Player has moved/renamed the files then the chances are that subtle differences in naming strategies will make it hard to restore the media to the precise path that iTunes is expecting. In such cases, as long as the missing files can be found somewhere, you should be able to use my FindTracks script to reconnect them to iTunes. See this post for an explanation of how it works.

If you want me to try to provide specific advice please post back the following details:

1. The location of the media folder under Edit > Preferences > Advanced
  2. The location of a sample missing track shown under Get Info > File > Location that begins file://localhost/
  3. The true path to the file whose details you gave in 2.

See also Re: How to remove duplicate songs and Make a split library portable.

tt2

Nov 7, 2015 12:54 PM in response to turingtest2

Hello tt2

With your help i figured out the problem.

itunes thinks this track is located here:

file://localhost/C:/Users/Robin/Music/iTunes Music/ABBA/Gold/18 Thank You For The Music.mp3

but apparently it is located here:

C:\Users\RobinHome\Music\iTunes Music\ABBA\Gold

The media folder for the library which was chosen by itunes is here: C:\Users\RobinHome\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media

The difference is the path for the default music folder of win 10. I think it changed during my upgrade from win 7 and now itunes can't locate the tracks anymore.

Is there a possible way to link all missing the files to the new path? how can i repair this?

Not all music is located in this specific folder, for example itunes can find this track without problem: C:\Users\RobinHome\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\AC_DC\Live At River Plate [Disc 2]\2-07 Let There Be Rock [Live].wav

Thanks for your help!

Robin

Nov 7, 2015 1:05 PM in response to robin874

Take a look at my last link first. You really want everything organized in the proper shape, so your content that is currently in C:\Users\RobinHome\Music\iTunes Music\ should really get moved down into C:\Users\RobinHome\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media. You could then fix the broken links with FindTracks. Turn off Keep Organized before you start, then turn it back on again afterwards to tidy everything up.

tt2

Nov 7, 2015 1:33 PM in response to robin874

Without looking at your computer I would expect that you have artists folders in

C:\Users\RobinHome\Music\iTunes Music\ and

C:\Users\RobinHome\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\

Merging the two might lead to problems. Instead move iTunes Music inside iTunes Media. When using FindTracks point it at the relocated iTunes Music folder. When you turn Keep Organized back on things should move into the correct folders. Anything left inside iTunes Music is likely to be other types of media tha you also need to repair and then reorganize. Doing it this way avoids creating duplicates of the tracks you are repairing. If the library still has duplicates when you've sorted out the dead links I have another script for that.

tt2

Nov 8, 2015 6:18 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you very much!!!!

The script took 5 hours and re-linked about 98% of the tracks correctly. It worked like a charm 😀. I turned "keep organized" back on, itunes then emptied most of the folder "Itunes Music". I still have about 3 gb of data (~1000 files) in there. All of my library entries are now linked, so most of the tracks in "itunes music" probably are doubles. I have backed up the entire music library and i will leave the "itunes music" folder where it is now, maybe i need to check it later on if any problems are coming up.

I tried many things before and was almost going crazy but you really helped me very much!! Many thanks again!

Keep up the good work,

Robin

how to merge folders / repair itunes libraries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.