Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import my preview signature to another El Capitan?

I have a MAC Pro and a MacBook Pro running El Capitan on both. I want to import my preview signature from my MAC Pro to my MacBook.

How do I do that?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 10:24 AM

3 replies

Dec 31, 2015 7:07 AM in response to leroydouglas

That seems to work only for Yosemite. If I follow the procedure shown, the Preview does not seem to read the plist files - signatures are not displayed in preview. In addition, if I create a new signature in Preview for El Capitan, the imported signature plist file does NOT get modified. So, it appears Preview in El Capitan seems to be saving signatures in a different file. Does anyone know which file?

Mar 31, 2016 4:19 PM in response to pgoli

The way I found for El Capitan:

On the Source Mac:

1) Open Keychain Access

2) In Local Items find the "Signature Annotation Privacy"

3) Right-click the item and select "Copy password to Clipboard"

4) Open TextEdit and paste the password (note the password is long) and save the file as text

5) Transfer this file to the Destination Mac.

On the Destination Mac:

1) Open any PDF in the Preview

2) Create a dummy signature using your trackpad and save it

3) Close Preview

4) Open Keychain Access

5) In Local Items find the "Signature Annotation Privacy" and double-click to open the item

6) Click on "Show password"

7) In the password field paste the text from the text file you created on the source Mac

8) Click on Save changes

9) Close Keychain Access

The signature will show up in place of the dummy signature in Preview.

Hope it helps

How do I import my preview signature to another El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.