Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't stream rented movies from Mac to AppleTV 4th Gen

I just set up the latest AppleTV (4th Gen) and when I tried to stream a rented movie from my mac, it doesn't.

No error is given on the Apple TV, it just goes to the list of contents under computer.

I'm on the latest version of El Capitan (10.11.1) and running iTunes 12.3.1.23

I found this page which does not list Apple TV 4th Gen:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289

Is it possible that streaming rented movies from Mac to the new Apple TV is not supported?

Has anyone run into this issue?

Thanks

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 10:51 AM

15 replies

Nov 8, 2015 6:15 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I have been in touch with Applecare and we could not resolve the issue, to date. We even did a hard restore via iTunes and a laptop with a USB-C cable.

Starting to think this could be an issue with TVos.

The issue is isolated strictly to playback of movies "rented" via iTunes on the ATV4. I use my iMac to order and download the content. My network is fast. The iMac is connected to it via wi-fi. The ATV4 is connected via ethernet. I have always used Home Sharing to stream content from the iMac to the ATV, and with my old ATV 3, this worked fine. And when I swap-in the ATV 3 now, it still does. But when I connect the ATV 4, "rentals" do indeed appear on the screen to be selected,, as they should, but once selected, will not play. The screen goes black for a few seconds, and then the display goes back to the menu screen.

NOTE that ALL OTHER CONTENT, photos, "purchased" movies, home videos, music, podcasts etc. play fine. I even purchased a movie last night, just to test things. Worked fine.

So what is unique about the "rental" transaction? I believe it is the fact that rentals require ongoing two-way communication between customer and Apple to determine when rental period starts/expires. I can't imagine a hardware issue in the ATV4 that would ONLY affect the rental feature and nothing else.

Applecare suggested I take the unit to the Apple Store. There is no Apple Store anywhere near me so I may end up mailing it back....this 3-day-old piece of gear that is probably fine but has buggy software inside it.

Nov 11, 2015 7:10 AM in response to mjkelch

This worked for me playing Rented movies on Apple TV which were bought on my computer (I am using Windows 10 computer in Study on First Floor and Apple TV4 in Living Room on Ground Floor,all Wi-Fi)

1 Turn on Apple Tv and make sure Airplay in on.

2 On computer open I Tunes and at the top of the screen is a small TV symbol;click this which brings up the speaker options,click "SINGLE" and Apple TV.

3 Still on the computer open the movie you want to see and click the Play button.This brings up a window on the computer which says your Apple TV is after a code or password I think.

4 Go to the Apple Tv and the screen should be blank with a four number code shown on it.Enter this code into the window on the computer,click Ok and Voila it worked !!

Nov 11, 2015 12:57 PM in response to Hanleyensian

Yes, this is a work-around that will work if you don't mind using your computer to control playback, instead of the ATV4 remote, which is flaky when using Airplay. Thank you.

I still contend that the ATV4 should be able to play the rentals that are displayed onscreen on the TV, just as the ATV 3 _always_ did. Instead, even after yesterday's software update, selecting the rental from the RENTALS menu item _tries_ to play the selection, the screen goes to black for a few seconds, and then the RENTALS menu is once again displayed. That is not supposed to happen, and it seems a software issue.

It is, at this point, simply easier to swap-in my ATV3 to watch rented movies, which it still does very well. The only requirement is my computer upstairs (the source) must be on with iTunes open and home sharing turned on. As it always was.

The ATV4.....simply.....does not do this. And it should.

Thanks again for the post and the workaround.

Nov 11, 2015 1:10 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I agree. I guess folks who have the new ATV4 need a bit of advice regarding whether this is then a "hardware issue" with ATV4, requiring a trip to the Apple Store (which an Applecare advisor suggested to me, which would probably have been a waste of time for all and which I declined to do), or simply a soon-to-be-solved software glitch.

I work in IT and write software, and I know these are "early days" for the ATV4. But_ Applecare folks should have better advice for less-informed folks who will now think it is the box that's broken and must be returned, after spending a half hour on the phone with Applecare trying a myriad of things, none of which will work.

If I were Apple, I would at least make sure that, if there were bugs, they at least did not affect any parts of the TVos that generate revenue directly to the company, assuming any content rentals//purchases via iTunes are moneymakers for Apple.

:-)

Can't stream rented movies from Mac to AppleTV 4th Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.