Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my apple tv kills my netgear router.

I am streaming a movie from my pc via my apple tv and after 2 minutes, my router goes dead. all the lights go out, even the power lights.I have to push the power button on the router off and then on again for the lights to come back on and the router to reboot. Everything goes back to normal, I go back to watching my movie and the process repeats itself. I have tried restarting itunes, rebooting my PC, my router and the apple TV but no luck. I even tried changing my security settings from AES to TKIP but also not luck.

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 12:05 PM

23 replies

Nov 7, 2015 12:07 PM in response to Richgrad

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

Nov 7, 2015 12:29 PM in response to Winston Churchill

thanks for your detailed response. netstumbler says no network adapter found on my pc. my apple tv has been working fine until now. there are no appliances on or near my apple tv. but every time I play a movie on my television streamed via apple tv from my itunes on my pc, it literally kills my router. it's completely dead. no lights, not even power lights but the power switch is on. I have to switch the router off and then on again for things to return to normal. then it happens again and again.

Nov 7, 2015 1:21 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I have a mac laptop. but do you need a computer on and running istumbler at all times to block other networks while streaming via apple tv? doesnt make sense for me to leave my laptop running just to stream via ATV. do you think that other networks are causing this issue? have you heard of this issue before? as I said, everything has been working fine until now...

Nov 7, 2015 1:28 PM in response to Richgrad

I have a mac laptop. but do you need a computer on and running istumbler at all times to block other networks while streaming via apple tv?

You can't block other networks, you are just using that software to see other networks and what signal strengths they are working at.

do you think that other networks are causing this issue?

Can't be sure which is why I suggest looking for them.

have you heard of this issue before?

Yes.

Nov 7, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Richgrad

A network uses 5 channels, the one it states and two on each side, so a network on channel 1 can potentially interfere with one on channel 3. Folks tend to stick with 1, 6 and 11 so that interference doesn't occur. If it turns out it's nothing to do with interference, you might want to give your service provider a call (assuming they supplied your router), but if it was OK before unless you've changed a setting or updated something I can't see it being a setting in the router.

Nov 7, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Richgrad

I'm sorry but this exercise did not work. I changed my router to channel 11 and checked istumbler. Mine is the only network/router on this channel now. I started a movie via my apple TV and within 15-20 seconds, the line dropped. I walked into my office and the router displayed no lights whatsover. So frustrating.

my apple tv kills my netgear router.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.