Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I buy music on my AppleTV?

I am no longer able to browse or buy music on the new AppleTV.

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 1:54 PM

I could buy music on the generation 2 and 3 AppleTVs. I'm aware that it does not store the music on the device. I find it hard to believe that this new and improved and more expensive AppleTV would lose the functionality to browse and purchased music.

10 replies

Nov 28, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Briansyddall

Really enjoying Apple TV 4 but have to admit the set up involving iTunes purchases bugs me. With the older version setup only involved entering your account information then the system was intuitive enough to set up the rest. Its one of Apple's best features being nearly idiot-proof designed software overall . If this is a push to promote Apple Music over purchases I hope Apple comes up with a patch to restore this function as Apple Music isn't for everyone but for myself all music purchashes come fome the Apple Store. Apple TV 4 had no problem recognizing rental and purchase functions for movies and TV shows.

Nov 7, 2015 2:45 PM in response to morrispe

I think this was a fairly recent addition to the Apple TV 3, it started with the introduction of "iTunes Radio". While listening to a streaming song, you can choose to purchase it. I don't recall being able to purchase music prior to the "iTunes Radio" streaming service.

On the Apple TV 4, you should still be able to browse for music in the Music app. When a song is playing, you can click the remote to reveal a menu icon at the top of the screen, that has an "Add to My Music" option. I have an Apple Music subscription, so I'm not sure what happens if you don't, but it might be worth checking to see if that turns into a "purchase" option instead.

[edit: I said "Apple Music" before instead of "iTunes Radio". These work differently, "Apple Music" is based on "Beats Music" and lets you build a library of streaming music, "iTunes Radio" didn't let you do that - you had to purchase]

Nov 7, 2015 2:17 PM in response to heartajack

I didn't even realize you could browse the store and buy music on the Apple TV3 as I hardly ever use mine to play music.

I suspect that the number of people that used this feature was extremely small as most would want to purchase music within iTunes so that it downloads instantly to your PC, iPhone, or iPad. Buying music on a streaming device that can't download the purchase doesn't make as much sense even though it was possible. Since the Apple TV is a streaming device the new Apple Music service is a better fit in my opinion.

Nov 7, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Joseph Delaney

so I'm not sure what happens if you don't, but it might be worth checking to see if that turns into a "purchase" option instead.

I did check it out and there is no option to purchase. However, search (I'm not a subscriber) did bring up suggestions that I don't have, so it appears to be searching the store (or something other than my own library) and maybe it's something in the pipeline.

Why can't I buy music on my AppleTV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.