Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move transition not in new FCP from in old sequence into Effects?

Hi

A bit of a mouthful for a subject, but true.

How can I move a transition not in new FCP but in old sequence into Effects? I can actually put it in a bin but can't move into Effects.

best

elmer

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 1:19 PM

9 replies

Nov 7, 2015 6:19 PM in response to Gary Sumlak

Thanks for the reply.

I use FCPX these days and only currently have FCP 7 from FCS which I rarely use. But I have a project created 8-10 years ago in FCP. One of the earlier versions of FCP either had, or maybe there were some free transitions that I added, that were off-shoots of the common page peel still in FCP. One was a cross page peel that opens in the center and four sections peel back kind of reminding one of a flower.

Anyway, I opened this old project from years ago and it has a sequence that several times used the cross page peel and it is still in the sequence and works. I even copied it onto a couple transition points to verify.

This came after looking in the effects tab and finding only the page peel, not the one I used, the cross page peel.

So I was thinking it would be great if I could somehow save this transition, which is prettier than the pedestrian page peel, and add it to my effects browser, but things aren't that simple. I couldn't drag it into the effects browser.

But maybe someone knows how I might save it as a new transition in the Effects tab and Video Transitions bin. Can't one theoretically make and save a new transition in that editor which I never used but occasionally opened when accidentally double clicking on a transition, maybe it's even called a Transition Editor?

Any thing you can suggest or advise I would very much appreciate?

best

elmer

Nov 8, 2015 7:39 AM in response to elmerlang

FCPX Transitions, Titles and Effects are now all various versions of Motion projects, and as such FCS effects are not compatible and can not be transferred directly to FCPX (AFAIK). If the effect is in a category like "Master Templates" it may be a FCS Motion project (which can be read by Motion 5, and saved as a Motion 5 project). The effect will have a motn suffix.

If the effect is not a Motion project, your only option is to try to find the author of the transition and hope they have created a FCPX version. Often the transitions/effects were categorized in the browser by author.

Bright side is that Motion 5 is dirt cheap, and you may be able to create your own version of the transition without too much grief.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Nov 8, 2015 2:14 PM in response to elmerlang

You cannot use legacy (FCP7 and below) transitions and effects directly in FCP-X.

FCP-X and FCP7 and below are completely different applications that share nothing in common except the name.

In FCP-X, if you want to use (create) effects that are not already provided in the effects library, you build the effect in motion and then add the constructed effect into FCP-X to be used there, or look for a 3rd party source to add the effect you are looking for. Just be sure the effect is designed to work with FCP-X.

http://store.pixelfilmstudios.com/plugin/transpeel-transition

MtD

Nov 8, 2015 4:38 PM in response to elmerlang

OK, I think i finally get what you are asking. I too thought you wanted to have the FCP7 transition available in FCPX.

Unfortunately, you can not simply drag the transition in the time line to the effects tab. When the effect was originally added to the timeline, FCP, essentially, reads the commands in the effect, and saves that information in the project file. The original effect, can be removed from the system without affecting the transition on the timeline. You can even email the FCP project file to another person, and they will have the transition, intact, on the timeline.

What you may be able to do is save the effect in the Favorites folder. Right-Click (CMD-Click) on the effect, and select copy. Then double click on the Effects>Favorites folder to open the Favorites folder as a window. Then Right-Click in the Favorites window, and Paste the effect. If that works, you may now be able to use the effect in other FCP projects.

Otherwise, a quick google search for the transition name may give you the website of the author, who may still be able to get you a copy.

Once you have a physical copy of the file, place the file in the "/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro System Support/Plugins" folder.

Hope this helps you out.

How to move transition not in new FCP from in old sequence into Effects?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.