Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could not connect to Apple TV (2015) on Yosemite (10.10.5) Macbook Pro (Early 2015)

When trying to AirPlay to my new Apple TV (4th Generation, 2015), I receive the following error message:

Could not connect to "Apple TV"

User uploaded file

I've tried restarting my macbook, restarting my Apple TV, resetting the router, power-cycling the Apple TV, made sure that they're on the exact same WiFi network but the issue persists.

Information on Apple TV are as follows:

Model: A1625 (64GB)

tvOS: 9.0 (13T396)

IP Address: 192.168.1.15

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

Information on Macbook Pro are as follows:

Model: Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

OS X: Yosemite (10.10.5)

IP Address: 192.168.1.18

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.1

I've noticed that my iPad and iPhones are all able to AirPlay to the Apple TV without issues (streaming, mirroring work great on mobile devices) but the Macbook just doesn't seem to be able to connect.

As an alternative, I've also tried using AirParrot 2 but the same error is observed.

Please advise.

Best Regards,

Stan

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 9:10 PM

49 replies

Jan 2, 2017 6:30 PM in response to inettom

My "Block all incoming connections" in my firewall was off.. but I turned it on. .then turned it off again and vwalla! Airplay now works! Man that was bugging the **** out of me for at least 2 weeks...

What happened to "Just Works" Apple? ;-/

Environment variables:

- wired lan to rule out Wi-Fi issues.

- MBP 2014 15" w/ macOS v.10.12.2

- AppleTV gen 4, tvOS 10.1 (14U593)

Hope this works for everyone else.

Feb 15, 2017 9:24 AM in response to Graham Dombkins

@Graham Dombkins - thank you, thank you, thank you! I saw the same thing that you saw. The issue of AirPlay not working with our new ATV4 in a classroom was limited to 10.10 Yosemite Macs. El Capitain 10.11 Macs were fine. I turned OFF the PASSCODE, a 10.10 computer connected, reenabled the PASSCODE, and that same 10.10 computer was still able to connect. A different 10.10 computer tried to connect and got the '"Could not connect to "AppleTVName"' message. Again, we turned OFF the PASSCODE, the other 10.10 computer connected, and then reenabled the PASSCODE. I had already removed keychains at /Users/[UserName]/library/keychains and deleted NetworkInterfaces.plist at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and rebooted, but neither of those suggestions fixed my issue. I was getting frustrated. Thank you again for taking time to post the fix, Graham Dombkins!

Feb 23, 2016 12:51 PM in response to StanCanCode

nmblookup 'allow incoming connections' has to be enabled in the Privacy & Security (Firewall) Preferences for the apple TV and computer to connect.

I had the same problem and it was bizarre because my other devices worked fine, but not the Macbook Pro. Now all working fine. Try it out...

By the way I didn't need to tick the 'automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections' for it to get working, but maybe that's just luck 🙂

Could not connect to Apple TV (2015) on Yosemite (10.10.5) Macbook Pro (Early 2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.