Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ichat not working with my gmail login

Hello,

I used ichat several years ago and am now wanting to get back onto it to perhaps message my husband that has an iPhone, but it's not allowing me access - giving me a server name or password incorrect error message. I have reviewed several other discussions on this and have tried most everything. I do not have a mac.com, mobile.me, or iCloud account, but never used one before when using my ichat…it is simply set up as a gmail email address. I have gone into preferences and changed the server to talk.google.com with port 443. I have gone into my Keychain Access and the password listed is the correct one for my gmail account. It also has limited access, but ichat is listed as an allowable app. I've tried to logon to AIM, which takes me to an AOL sign in, but again, I cannot gain access to it using my gmail account (old or new password). Since google now has "hangouts" instead of gchat or talk, is there somewhere else I need to go make this work? Or is ichat an app that is no longer used?

I'm not a tech wizard, but can usually work things out…however, this one stumps me…and all the forums I've seen are from 2 - 3 yrs ago in regards to ichat, so am very curious as to whether I'm trying to figure out a relic app that is now no longer used, within my very old macbook.

I am on OS X 10.7.5 and ichat is Version 6.0.2

Please help!

Thanks 🙂

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 7, 2015 8:16 PM

1 reply

Nov 8, 2015 12:18 PM in response to CLomness

Hi,

Umm iChat 6.x.x

That's one I really skipped passed as I bought a Lion computer and updated it almost straight away to Mountain Lion and Messages 7.x

In the Preferences > Accounts you should have the Bonjour Account (probably not active) and any other Accounts you have added.

Google should have been added as it's own type (it can be added as a Jabber account and then the settings changed as you describe)

The App should login on port 5223 and use SSL to do so.

This last bit is most likely where the issue is and Google have declared SSL as not secure enough. (this is despite most mail Applications still using SSL with their email server with no issues).

You need to visit your Google Account on Line and set "Allow Less Secure Apps" to login.

Whilst you are there I would also check the ID itself.

Google have tended to issue two types of ID @googlemail.com and @gmail.com depending if your are in the United States or not.

The Mail App seems to be less fussy which you should use but the GoogleTalk server you are logging in to is fussy.

Make sure the Login ID in the Google option in Messages matches the name at the Goggle Account page.

User uploaded file

8:17 pm Sunday; November 8, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

ichat not working with my gmail login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.