Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about canceling iTunes Match (Apple Music user)

I'm sorry if this has been explained before - but I couldn't find exact answers to all my questions and even though I did read Apple's documentation about the differences between Apple Music/iCloud Music Library and iTunes Match, I am still not 100% sure how (or if) the cancellation of my iTM subscription as a current AM user would affect me. I would really appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me 🙂

Background: I have been an iTM subscriber since the beginning and over time I have deleted all my old, low quality MP3s and re-downloaded DRM free AAC versions of those tracks. My match-rate was very high, so I managed to "upgrade" almost all of my crappy music files. Apart from those upgraded tracks, my library consists of mainly iTMS purchases and high quality CD rips that are "matched" but didn't need upgrading (additionally there's a handful of - mostly high quality - CD rips that are "uploaded").

Now here are my questions: What exactly (if anything at all) is going to happen if I cancel my iTM sub? Is there a noticeable transition from "iTunes Match Library" to "iCloud Music Library", meaning: is there a chance things might get screwed up? 99% of my local tracks have custom artwork, lyrics and extensive metadata that has been added manually over the course of a decade... that's the main reason I am so cautious regarding my iTunes library.

Also, are both services actually pulling from different "catalogues"? I once read something about AM using the "Apple Music Catalogue" and iTM using the "iTunes Music Store Catalogue"... is there anything to that and if so, how does it affect me? Is there any advantage in keeping my iTM sub in addition to AM?

I would love to know how other long time iTM subscribers and AM users are handling this and any insight regarding the technicalities of canceling iTM would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 🙂

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 4:25 AM

13 replies

Nov 8, 2015 6:37 AM in response to sweet-jane

Yes, I'd be interested to see the major differences or downsides to cancelling my iTunes Match sub. As far as I can see, if I cancelled, the basic things would be that obviously any tracks in my library that are not matched would not be available on my other devices. Apart from that, would I be correct in saying that the only other tracks that wouldn't be available to me are tracks or artists who's music isn't available on Apple Music. For instance while my 205 Beatles tracks are at present matched and available on my other devices, I presume if I cancelled my Match sub, they wouldn't be available on my iPhone etc. (unless obviously, if I went back to manual syncing etc)

Also, it'd be great if Apple did a yearly iTunes match and Apple music one payment package subscription...(and hopefully discounted!)

The other question on another thread is 'what happens to my music if I cancel iTunes Match' or similar.

This may be need to be clarified but I believe that nothing should happen to your music on your main computer that the initial iTunes match was and is done from. Even if you replaced dodgy sounding tracks with matched versions as most of us have probably done at this stage. And also nothing should happen to your unmatched/uploaded files by cancelling iTunes Match.

But as always, just in case, you've always got your Time Machine backup. We've all got that haven't we...

Nov 8, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Simon201

It's past the point where I can edit my post above now, but having added my work email as another family member under Apple Music, it seems I was incorrect in saying that unmatched/uploaded tracks would not be available on other devices (my work iPad). It seems they are, so therefore I can make these assumptions as to the main differences between using iTunes Match (and Apple Music) or just using Apple Music.

1. Less tracks will be matched using only Apple Music (I think I read there's around 30 million for Apple Music and around 43 million on the iTunes store)

2. Any track that is matched in iTunes on the 'main' computer will be available on another computer but it will be the DRM version

3. Uploaded/unmatched tracks on the main computer will be available on another computer but should not have DRM

4. If you 'remove download' a matched track (ripped from a CD or other source) on your main computer and re-download it, it will then have DRM.

Assuming this is all pretty much correct, there's not really a huge benefit to having iTunes match if you are going to subscribe to Apple Music.

Nov 8, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Simon201

@Jim, thanks for the link. While I had seen some of those resources before, I found Kirk McElhearn's piece about the fingerprinting-metadata-matching issue interesting.

May I ask why you decided to keep both AM and iTM?

@Simon, this is very helpful, thanks! Regarding your number 1: I had read about the catalogue discrepancy somewhere as well but couldn't remember the details. So there's definitely less content available on AM and some stuff will be missing completely - like The Beatles, right? So what do you think happens to our Beatles-matches once we cancel iTM? Will there be a re-scan of our libraries and a subsequent upload of the Beatles tracks (and all the other tracks that might be available in the iTMS but not on AM)?

Number 2: I figured as much. That's what you pay for when subscribing to iTM, I suppose - you can get DRM free copies of tracks, no matter what source they're coming from (and I'm sure lots of folks used that to "white wash" pirated content).

I'm wondering about number 3 though: so when I add tracks from a CD I ripped to iTunes and they get matched, they will have DRM when downloaded to another device. But when they're uploaded they will not have DRM when downloaded to another device? So you could end up with a CD where 8 tracks are matched (and have DRM on another device) and 4 tracks are uploaded (and have no DRM on another device)... that's confusing, to say the least 😉

Number 4: I've read about that. I guess that's just a result of how the software works (see number 2) and probably one of the things Apple needed to agree to when making their deals with the record companies. But it shouldn't be an issue when there's a solid backup strategy in place 🙂

Nov 8, 2015 10:12 AM in response to sweet-jane

sweet-jane wrote:

@Jim, thanks for the link. While I had seen some of those resources before, I found Kirk McElhearn's piece about the fingerprinting-metadata-matching issue interesting.

May I ask why you decided to keep both AM and iTM?

Hi,

My iTunes match subscription does not expire until April 2016 but at present I think I will keep iTunes match.

Whilst not perfect, I am happier with the matching process used by iTunes match. I also use two computers and copy music to the other one and vice versa without the need to worry about DRM. I also rely on my iPod classic whilst out and about. I also buy a lot of CDs! Apple music is good for hearing new music.

Jim

Nov 8, 2015 12:56 PM in response to ohneSchatten

@ohneSchatten, thanks for getting back to me, I read your reply in "your" thread as well and it is indeed comforting to hear that you haven't noticed any glaring issues yet 🙂 I am very surprised that your Beatles albums remain playable on all your devices though - I was almost sure that those would have to be uploaded or something... interesting. Does their iCloud Status still say "matched" in iTunes?

I agree that it's possible that there might be some sort of lag until your cancellation is completely recognized on Apple's side, as it has only been three days - and it wouldn't shock me at all if those Beatles tracks suddenly don't play anymore on your iDevices... weirder things have happened with Apple's cloud-products 😉

If you do stumble upon any "skeletons" in the next couple of days/weeks I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know (and folks finding these topics via Google in the future might be thankful as well).

@Jim, right, I can see the advantage of iTunes Match when you own two Macs - in that case I might be tempted to keep my subscription active as well. And if you're still buying CDs it definitely makes sense.

A little OT: Can you add offline Apple Music tracks to an iPod via cable sync when you're an iTunes Match subscriber?

Nov 8, 2015 3:02 PM in response to sweet-jane

Well, all my Beatles tracks have Matched status. Hmmm. What would happen if I ran File/Library/Update iCloud Music Library? Should I? Like you, I have spent years tidying up my library (artwork and metadata) little by little to only have it become a mess should I run Update iCloud Music Library. And I don't have the time and patience to clean up after Apple. It all circles back to my initial complaint: it infuriates and frustrates me that no one with deep knowledge/experience of our situation (AM subscriber and newly unsubscribed to iTM) has volunteered their wisdom in this forum.

Nov 10, 2015 5:48 AM in response to ohneSchatten

ohneSchatten wrote:

Well, all my Beatles tracks have Matched status. Hmmm. What would happen if I ran File/Library/Update iCloud Music Library?

Did you do it? 😉 If you did, I'd like to know if it changed anything - because I just can't wrap my head around the fact that your Beatles tracks still have a status of "matched", matched with what? The Beatles are obviously not available in the Apple Music catalogue.

I wish there was some documentation somewhere that listed exactly what happens when you cancel iTunes Match, that covered all the possible issues one might run into. Like "if you have matched tracks that are available in the iTMS catalogue but not in the AM catalogue, they will _________."

Nov 10, 2015 6:57 AM in response to sweet-jane

Hi,

I would be great if Apple produced a definitive document on what happens with your iCloud Music library when you cancel iTunes match and subscribe to Apple Music.

When you cancel iTunes match, you retain the music that is on your hard drive including all matched tracks you upgraded. Before Apple music, you would lose the ability to stream that music on other devices except for previous iTunes purchases. By the way, Apple keeps your match library for 30 days in case you decide to renew late.

What happens when you have both is not clear. I would expect that if you cancel iTunes match and selected update iCloud music library, your library would be scanned again and tracks not in AM catalog (e.g. The Beatles) would be removed (ICloud status changed to 'removed'). I have experience of purchased tracks that were no longer available in iTunes store being removed from the cloud and having an iCloud status of 'Removed'. Therefore, you would need to select the tracks and use the command to add them to iCloud - will then be uploaded.

Maybe @ohneSchatten can relate his experience if he updates his iCloud Music Library.

Jim

Nov 10, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Jim and sweet-jane, I haven't updated my iCloud Music Library. Very afraid to do so now that I cancelled iTM and with little time, patience or energy to do battle with Apple and all the unknowns surrounding iTM and AM. All of my Beatles tracks (which were Matched while I was on iTM) were ripped from CD so I am assuming they are still mine and will continue to propagate among my iDevices. Of course those Beatles tracks were Matched to the iTunes catalogue and I am assuming they will remain so (knowing that The Beatles are not on Apple Music's catalogue). If it is true that Apple Music duplicates the iTM service, then those tracks ought to remain Matched. But it's easy for me to track what happens to my Beatles tracks because they are a discrete, visible set. But what about anything else that is Matched now but may not be after I update my iCML? How am I going to track those? My library has ~ 18,000 tracks. Anyway, should I summon the courage to update my iCML, I'll post results here.

Nov 11, 2015 12:00 AM in response to ohneSchatten

Hi,

Whilst your Beatles albums have matched using iTunes Match, you should not assume they will remain in Apple Music. You can stream matched Beatles songs on other devices but once you change to Apple Music you will not be able to stream those songs from Apple Music library. Your Beatles tracks will need to be uploaded along with other tracks not available in Apple Music.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I would expect the matched songs that are not in Apple music will be removed and iCloud status cchanged to 'removed'. They should stay in your itunes library on your computer.

As you have now unsubscribed to match, you will be in a position to see what happens when you next update your iCloud music library.

Jim

Nov 11, 2015 9:09 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Well, I have opted to renew my subscription to iTM. I guess the extra $25 per year is worth it considering I can't go through the headache of having to rebuild my music library should something had gone amiss. Just have no confidence that Apple Music will retain the metadata, artwork and track status I (and iTM) have diligently worked on over the years. Someone else will have to be the guinea pig for this exercise (that is, unsubscribing to iTM while retaining AM). Hopefully he/she/they will report his/her/their outcome here in this forum.

Questions about canceling iTunes Match (Apple Music user)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.