Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot save custom DNS with Apple TV 4

Hi,

My new Apple TV 4 is great, but I cannot seem to set a custom DNS.

When I enter the DNS address (8.8.8.8), and click 'done', it appears to not be saved - and remains as 'automatic'.

I manually set static IP addresses on all my wired network equipment due to the terrible DHCP of my cable company's modem, and this configuration was working fine with my Apple TV 3.

Anyone else having the same problems?

Regards,

Apple TV (4th generation), iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 5:01 AM

6 replies

Nov 9, 2015 3:12 AM in response to NielsDenmark

Niels,

In frustration, I tried once more to get this working last evening.

The trick that worked for me was to set both network and DNS to automatic, then to set DNS to manual - enter the appropriate details - and save the settings.

I was then able to set network to manual as well, and have both settings be retained.

Seems there is a bug that means you have to set DNS first, then Network.

Nov 28, 2015 8:28 PM in response to hugothefrog

I too have had this problem and didn't have any luck with the solution, but I did start looking to the router and not the Apple TV (I have 5 devices coming off a hub and only the Apple TV wasn't working), I restarted the router and the Apple TV suddenly took all the DHCP.

I'm sort of looking forward to the issue happening for a third time (seems to be weekly so far) to see if the simple router restart solves it again.

Nov 29, 2015 4:03 AM in response to hugothefrog

Hugofthefrog, solution worked for me. Was ready to tear my hair out with this. Had to also restart the router (rip the power out) and then bingo

Cannot save custom DNS with Apple TV 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.