Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Normalize audio during conversion?

I help run a local Cable community TV station. This question involves processing the audio portion of meeting videos - people speaking. We record in a variety of rooms, with varying equipment settings.

We're moving from some old tools (VisualHub and MPEG Streamclip) to Compressor for conversion. We've developed a workflow and settings which work generally well (broadcast and web). We're running into an audio issue. Many of our recordings have somewhat low audio levels. Certainly audible, but noticeably lower than others. We'd like to normalize our audio so all programs have reasonably similar levels.

In our prior workflow, MPEG Streamclip has an "automatic volume control" which (I assume) performs a normalize filter. That worked well for our needs.

I don't see anything along these lines in Compressor - just the graphic EQ, Dynamic Range, Limiter, and Fade audio effects. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a third-party filter and some ability to add it to Compressor?

Alternatively, are there any recommended tools I can add into an automated process via AppleScript?

I'm aware we can pull videos into Final Cut and modify audio there. I'm hoping to avoid that step to keep usage as simple as possible.

Thanks,

Mitch

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 4:34 AM

2 replies

Nov 8, 2015 5:17 AM in response to Mitch Cohen

Compressor isn't designed to work on discrete audio tracks. And I don't know of an automated solution to your levels issues.

I was not aware that MPEG Streamclip could do this (and I use the software fairly often). If you have a workflow that includes Streamclip and works for you, why not continue to use it?

Have you consideredAudacity? It has capabilities that may help,

Regardless, I would expect you (or an editor) will inevitably need to be involved to some degree in manually adjusting levels.

Good luck.

Russ

Normalize audio during conversion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.