Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock App's "Recents" Not Updating

Since upgrading to El Capitan, apps like Apple Pages that have right-click dock icon to show "recents" functionality are not updated to reflect recently opened files. The list of files displayed are ones I opened several days ago. The only way I can refresh the list is to kill the dock via the Terminal. How can I get these fly out menus to function properly and update themselves?

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2017 9:37 PM

It is a bug, frustrating, should be fixed. But -- as the guy at the top said -- it takes five seconds to fix whenever the list gets too far off:

hit command-space

type "terminal"and hit return

type "killall Dock" and hit return

You're done. Wait a couple more seconds and your dock is there with an up-to-date list.

30 replies

Nov 8, 2015 9:05 AM in response to literalism

I'm having the same problem myself, but with TextEdit. I could open 10 documents, then close them all, but none of them will show up when I right-click on the TextEdit icon. I have to remove TextEdit from my dock, then put it back, for them to show up. It's irritating because I didn't have this problem in Yosemite. I don't even know if I should call it a problem, it's more like an annoyance.

Nov 8, 2015 11:01 AM in response to literalism

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder may open. If it does, move the contents to the Desktop, leaving the folder open. Log out or restart the computer and test. All your recent-items lists will initially be empty. If the problem isn't solved, put back each of the items you moved, overwriting the one that will have been created in its place. Post your results.

Otherwise, delete the items you moved to the Desktop.

Nov 8, 2015 12:11 PM in response to Linc Davis

That did not help me because it did not address my problem. There was nothing wrong with the contents of my Recent Items ( --> Recent Items) menu. I was talking about the fact that if I open a document in TextEdit called BlahBlahBlah Ch.1, and then I close it, if I right-click on the TextEdit icon in my dock, I will not see BlahBlahBlah Ch.1 listed as having been a previously opened document. In order for me to see that it had been previously opened, I have to remove the TextEdit icon from my dock, then put it back. This seems like a stupidly absurd thing to do every time I have to use that application.

Literalism literally (if you'll excuse the pun) described the exact same problem, only using Pages.

Feb 15, 2016 7:39 AM in response to literalism

Just upgraded from 10.10.x to 10.11.3 last week, and found this issue too. At first I thought it was just one specific app, but turns out it is actually happening to everything.

Additionally, this issue isn't just affecting apps that are 'Keep in Dock'. It seems to affect all apps, but those that are not pinned to the Dock get their Dock context menu's recent items updated each time they are launched, but then the list is static until they are quit & re-launched.

Submitted a bug report, hopefully we'll see something for this soon.

Dock App's "Recents" Not Updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.