Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will the Remote app be able to control Apple TV 4????

Website indicates it is not compatible?

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 9:55 AM

8 replies

Nov 8, 2015 11:44 AM in response to erporsche

You should (along with others who want to see a Remote app update) provide feedback to Apple via the Feedback channel, and if you are a developer, the bug reporter database. Not only is it insane to have to use the current Siri remote to hunt and peck for single characters when 'til now, we've been able to use a virtual or BT keyboard, it's also a security risk: you have a group of people sitting in front of your big screen TV and you choose to download an app that requires a login, or you have to provide your Apple ID password - all there for everyone to see. Unfortunately, I think Apple is holding off on updating the Remote app (and it's possible they never will) in order to push the new Siri remote with speech as the new interface paradigm. But, speaking logins and passwords is also a security risk when sitting with a group of people. It's pretty clear that Apple wants to make sure Apple TV remains an entertainment system, and not morph into a text-based computer system with web browsers and apps that are heavily text-based with traditional keyboard input devices etc. It may be they believe if they update the Remote app to provide for text-based input for logins and for searches, it will undermine the new Siri remote. Siri deep search across apps is coming (when, and for which apps?), but we still need text-based keyboard input via the Remote app for logins, if not for searches where Siri is not functional.

Nov 8, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Kevin Callahan

Agree 1000%. It's a security risk as my kids have been trying to find the family password as I type it on the Apple TV 4. I don't completely mistrust my children, but I certainly don't trust the neighbour kid. He's a little b-tard.

I would hate for this bug to lead to some sort of altercation with my neighbour, but thanks to Apple, it just might.

Nov 26, 2015 10:07 PM in response to erporsche

I also posted feedback to apple. I got one for 25% off on thanksgiving sale but returning if nothing good happens in the return window.

One of the biggest uses of my appe tv 3rd gen is to be able to browse my iTunes library with the remote app on my iPad and play it thru the Apple TV connected to my receiver. I don't want to have to have the tv on, I just want to tell it to play my music.

I just purchased the Apple TV 4 and read that I can't do this. I will return it if this feature is no longer possible. I suppose I could access my library on my iPad and then use AirPlay to send it to the Apple TV but this seems silly.

This situation is as bad as when home sharing was broke when Apple Music was introduced I keep my music on my pc and access it with home sharing on the Apple TV for playing my music. I don't want to have use my tv to do this and I want to be able to do it from any room in the house.

When will the Remote app be able to control Apple TV 4????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.