Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot upgrade iTunes / Bonjour on Windows 10

When I am trying to upgrade iTunes to a new version under Windows 10, I get the following message from Bonjour:

• in German: "Die ältere Version von Bonjour kann nicht entfernt werden. Setzen Sie sich mit dem technischen Supportpersonal in Verbindung."
  • translated to Englisch: "an older version of Bonjour cannot be removed. Please contact the technical support personal"

What I tried to resolve the problem:

a. I deinstalled the iTunes from the components from the Windows "Apps & Features" menue according to article https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT204275 in the order

1. iTunes
  2. Apple Software Update
  3. Apple Mobile Device Support
  4. I tried Bonjour but failed with an error requesting access to an older version of the Bonjour64.msi, which I do not have anymore
  5. Apple Application Support

b. I tried to reinstall iTunes with all components, but failed with the error "Die ältere Version von Bonjour kann nicht entfernt werden. Setzen Sie sich mit dem technischen Supportpersonal in Verbindung." translated to Englisch: "an older version of Bonjour cannot be removed. Please contact the technical support personal".

c. I removed Bonjour with the following steps in C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour and C:\Program Files\Bonjour:

1. mDNSResponder -remove
  2. reboot
  3. ren mdnsNSP.dll mdnsNSP.old
  4. removed the Bonjour directories and its entries

d. After a reboot I tried to reinstall iTunes including Bonjour but failed with the a.m. message. Therefore I removed the uninstall entries in the Registry, but this didn't help neither.

e. When I try to install Bonjour with a double-click on C:\users\admin\AppData\Local\Apple\Apple Software Update\Bonjour64.msi the installer tells me:

• "Das Feature, das Sie verwenden möchten, befindet sich auf einer Netzwerkressource, die nicht zur Verfügung steht. Klicken Sie auf "OK", um den Vorgang zu wiederholen, Oder geben Sie in das untenstehende Feld den Pfad zu einem anderen Ordner ein, der das Installationspaket "Bonjour64.mis" enthält.
  • In English "The feature that you are trying to us, is on another network resource, which ist not available. Click on "OK, to repeat the procedure, or enter the correct path to "Bonjour64.mis" in the field below.

If I enter the directory with the Bonjour64.msi installer package I get the error message:

• "Die Datei "C:\Users\....\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP808.TMP\" ist kein gültiges Installationspaket für das Produkt "Bonjour". Suchen Sie das Installationspaket "Bonjour64.msi" in einem Ordner, von dem aus Sie "Bonjour" installieren können.
  • translated to english "The file "C:\users\admin\AppData\Local\Apple Software Update\Bonjour64.msi" is not a valid installation package. ..."

Any ideas how to get a clean installation of iTunes and Bonjour?

Regards,

Joachim

Thinkpad T410s-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 3:44 AM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2015 3:44 AM in response to Joachim Maier

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

tt2

Cannot upgrade iTunes / Bonjour on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.