Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini 10.10.5 Seagate slim external drive problems will not work

My mini will not accept Seagate Slim External backup drive except on reboot. After that it wont work. Says drive was not dismounted right.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 12:15 PM

5 replies

Nov 9, 2015 9:30 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks for the try. Let me restate. I am running a Mac Mini (late2014), Pro. 2.6GHz, Mem 8GB, running OS X 10.10.5.

Bought a Seagate Backup Plus Slim that said it was for Mac and Windows. It worked fine for several weeks, And then it stopped working. Pop up says " Cannot find disc" Now, the fun part, If I reboot the Mac it will work. And keep working until the Mac goes to sleep. I have been rebooting daily in order to keep my backup UTD. As you can guess that is a hassle. I have searched both Apple and Seagate but my problem is not addressed. Have tried everything I can find to repair but nothing works. Hope you can come up with something. Oh, to address your optical cable question, I am using a Griffin supper speed charge/Sync cable with USB3.0 Micro-B. Bought that because someone in another help site said sometimes the furnished cable was the problem. Also hooked directly into the Mini.

Regards

Nov 9, 2015 11:05 AM in response to Drjohn35

Here are some things you might try if you haven't already:

1. Open up system preferences, go to "energy saver" and uncheck (if checked) the option to put the drive to sleep when possible.

2. Put a USB hub in between the drive and the unit if item 1. doesn't work.

I had this problem and doing both did the trick for me. Item 2. wasn't done to correct a problem, it was done because I was out of USB ports. You might also want to try the drive on another system with a different OS on it to ensure the problem isn't the drive. You can also review the article at the how to section of http://scsc-online.com about drive problems. It might help but I suspect a compatibility problem is the culprit. You might also want to file a report to Apple.

Mini 10.10.5 Seagate slim external drive problems will not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.