Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does iPhone contacts choose address book?

When I create a new contact on iPhone (iOS 9), how does it determine which address book to add the contact to? I have several address books on my phone, including Exchange and iCloud. I don't see any option to pick an address book, like there is for adding a calendar appointment.

++Eric

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 5:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 7:21 AM

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendar>Contacts>Default Account

7 replies

Nov 9, 2015 8:34 AM in response to ericf2000

ericf2000 wrote:

Thanks!

It seems we can only choose the account in the Contacts app settings for all contacts, not choose an address book for each contact when we create them. The Calendar app allows us to chose the calendar for each appointment and even to change the calendar for appointments already made, but I can't find a way to do this in Contacts.

You can only chose a default. Honestly, you're probably better off just choosing one account and sticking to it. It will prevent a lot of confusion in the long run.

Nov 9, 2015 9:40 AM in response to ericf2000

The built-in Contacts app does not let you choose a "group" for contacts, however, you can assign contacts to groups in the Address Book app that you sync to on your Mac or Windows computer or Google Contacts if you use that. And there are also 3rd party apps that let you manipulate contacts and groups. Two such are "Groups" and "Speed Names".

Nov 9, 2015 9:27 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks.

I was hoping to start keeping my work contacts in my work Exchange address book and my personal contacts in my iCloud address book, but it seems they don't make this easy. I have been using both for many years, and there is partial but not complete duplication. I remember that I had some synchronization program for a while on my Mac. I did find the "link contacts" option in the Contacts app to at least link the iCloud and Exchange contacts for the same person, so I don't see two entries for each on my phone.

How does iPhone contacts choose address book?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.