Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add virtual machine to then clone to Boot Camp

I am running a MacBook Pro 15" mid-2010 OS X 10.11 with a damaged optical drive and a USB Superdrive.

I have been trying to install Windows 7 (via the iso file provided by Microsoft upon entering a valid key) to Boot Camp. I have successfully created a partition, but have not been able to install the OS. I have tried using DAEMON Tools lite to mount the iso as a DVD, but it does not show up as a boot option on Power Button + Option. I have followed these steps (Enable Bootcamp to install from usb for OSX 10.9**WORKS**) to create a bootable USB drive, but it does not appear upon restart.

I thought I would have success with these steps (http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/install-a-windows-7-partition-on-mac-osx-wit hout-optical-drive-or-usb.1836959/#post-…), but I have not been able to create a virtual machine in any software. I own Parallels Desktop, have tried the trial version of VMWare Fusion, and also downloaded VirtualBox. VirtualBox freezes when I try to open up Settings, Parallels Desktop sits at "Please wait..." when I first open the iso for hours, and VMWare Fusion stays on a black screen and does not start the iso to install the OS. I have tried to load an Ubuntu virtual machine and it produced the same results.I have even reset my computer back to OS X 10.9 Mavericks to see if the problem was with the OS, but everything is the same. I have reset the PRAM and SMC several times during this process and it has not changed a thing.

I don't know what else to try. Why would I not be able to load a virtual machine on any software on my computer? Is my only option to purchase and install a new optical drive?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 6:53 PM

I realized I could run the virtual machine in VirtualBox without opening Settings (which would crash it) and select the USB Superdrive where I burned the iso to a DVD. I am currently installing Windows 7 to VirtualBox and will follow these directions (http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/install-a-windows-7-partition-on-mac-osx-wit hout-optical-drive-or-usb.1836959/#post-…) to attempt to clone the VM to the Boot Camp partition.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2015 6:53 PM in response to user_que89

I realized I could run the virtual machine in VirtualBox without opening Settings (which would crash it) and select the USB Superdrive where I burned the iso to a DVD. I am currently installing Windows 7 to VirtualBox and will follow these directions (http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/install-a-windows-7-partition-on-mac-osx-wit hout-optical-drive-or-usb.1836959/#post-…) to attempt to clone the VM to the Boot Camp partition.

Can't add virtual machine to then clone to Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.