Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV4 Airplay troubles (volume setting and lost of connection after start)

Dear,

I was using the Apple TV 3 before, connected to a video projector.

In the Apple TV Settings, I was able to select my music installation via Airplay.

This worked quite well, when the Apple TV started, the music was automatically played to my music installation,

and I was able to control the volume via the Settings while playing a movie (holding the select button, going to speakers and changing the volume).

I upgraded to the new Apple TV 4. Happy to see the Airplay function still exist in the settings but...

- When I wake the Apple TV4, the audio is default always played over the video projector and not over Airplay.

When I go to the system settings, I see it still have selected the Airplay speakers, but when I click through, it jumps to 'Apple TV' and I need to reselect the speakers. While I'm playing a video, I also have the option to select the speakers (slide-down), but it's quite annoying that I need to reselect this each time I wake the Apple TV.

Related to this, with the Apple TV 3, it was possible to control the volume of the Airplay speakers via the AppleTV, not quite user friendly, but it worked. With the new Apple TV, I can change the volume in the system settings, but nowhere else. Even the volume buttons on the remote are not working. If I'm watching a movie, and I do a slide-down to have the options of the subtitles, and speakers, there is no way to change the volume. To change the volume, I need to leave the current app, go to the system settings, change the volume, and jump back to the movie.

Not sure if I'm the only one using the Apple TV in this setup, but it's quite annoying that this behaviour changed, and that the volume buttons aren't working properly.

I hope the next Apple TV OS will fix this, or is there any work around known?

Jelle,

Apple TV (4th generation), tvOS

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 4:20 PM

4 replies

Jan 3, 2016 9:55 PM in response to nikolafromprovo

+1

This is a crazy backward step from apple here - forcing us to go all the way back to settings to adjust the volume... lunacy! At least with the ATV3 we could do it without leaving the content being played.

We now have a volume control built into the remote, why not have it work with airplay devices?!?

Let's hope apple have this on the todo list!

Apple TV4 Airplay troubles (volume setting and lost of connection after start)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.