Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WatchESPN app not working on new Apple TV 4

ESPN app not working on Apple TV 4. Works fine on iPhone, iPad, MBPro, and Roku 3. ESPN 3 only channel that works on Apple TV - ESPN1, ESPN2, ESPNnews, etc don't load and show a red circle with line thru it when I bring up progress bar on bottom of screen. I have reset the Apple TV. I have deleted and re-loaded the ESPN app. I have signed out and reconfirmed my cable provider. It is not my cable provider, network, router, or any other thing as all other apps work on all my devices and ESPN works on all other devices as well. It is just on the new Apple TV 4 that ESPN1,2,News, U, etc don't work except ESPN3. Help please. It is either the ESPN app or the Apple TV. Given ESPN's track record of making crappy apps, I am figuring it is there issue.

Apple TV

Posted on Nov 8, 2015 9:24 PM

4 replies

Nov 17, 2015 12:03 AM in response to sfvogt

Looks like it was an ESPN application problem and they fixed it. There is a new Watch ESPN app for Apple TV 4 tvOS 9.0 if you have it set up for automatic updates. It is dated November 16, 2015 and fixes bugs and performance issues. This new version fixes the problem I outlined above and all is good. They must have broken something with the October 31, 2015 app update to fix the multiple audio stream issue people were having on tvOS.

Nov 18, 2015 7:33 AM in response to N3vn

I dont agree that because the app stopped working around the update means that the update broke the app. Just like on iPhone/iPad or even android, if/when there is a software update there will be a corresponding app update. This is pretty normal as Apple is responsible for the ecosystem and the app developers are responsible to make sure their app works as they expect it to within the that environment. Apple does not design or support the individual apps...

Nov 19, 2015 9:56 PM in response to Protodd

I am just speculating. You may very well be right. I am just happy the issue has been fixed. I think the new Apple TV 4 is a great evolution of the previous Apple TV generations and it holds a lot of promise. Having a consistent application user experience will be key. I have never had any issues with the common apps Roku has with Apple TV on my own Roku 3 player. I hope the new Apple TV follows suit in this regard as Roku has a solid platform and user experience in my personal opinion.

WatchESPN app not working on new Apple TV 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.