Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i Mac shutting down on startup

hi i started my i mac and then... i had a black screen and under the apple logo was a gray load bar

when that load bar got to 50% my mac shuts DOWN

started the diagnostics but it said there is no problem

i tried holding the following on the startup sound but nothing changed :

command+option+P+R <--- i think this restarts something

please help me i need my mac

i cant go to my login screen so i cant access my programs

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), none

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 9:07 AM

Try a Safe Boot Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

9 replies

Nov 10, 2015 11:26 AM in response to rakan habab

There is always a chance of losing your files, in fact if you don't already have a backup you're taking that chance every day. Since your Mac won't start the only way I know of to back up your files is to start it up in Target Disk Mode How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support and connect it to another Mac and use Disk Utility or a third party app like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your internal hard drive. If you do not have another Mac available or your Mac won't boot into TDM then I don't know how you would back it up.

I will add that while I've always had a backup before upgrading or reinstalling OS X nothing has ever gone wrong for me, I've been fortunate enough to have never lost files.

i Mac shutting down on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.