Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP7 color select tool has gone wacky after El Cap upgrade

I've recently upgraded my os system to El Captain,

and i've noticed a major problem in FCP7 when you're using the color select tool.

I first encountered the problem when using the 3-way color correction.

While trying to sample a auto-balance color, the results where most of the time " way off ".

At first I felt it might be glitch in the color balance, so I tried working around it, adjusting by sight.

Later while creating a color matte, I used the color selecting tool to use the same color as a logo i was using.

This is when i realized that the color select tool was completely broken, it kept coming up with random colors.

I've spent some time looking through posts and forums, and found cases of the same issue in older os systems,

I've tried ,but not found a working solution for me.

The same problem appears on both my MacPro and MBP.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 1:17 AM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2016 9:23 AM in response to neiljkendall

Running FCP 7 on a supported OS is the best solution. 10.6.8 was the last "officially" supported OS for FCP 7, that was discontinued by Apple 5 years ago. Every OS update after that doesn't take FCP 7's functionality into consideration, nor does Apple make any fixes for FCP 7 to work on the newest OS....because they are concentrating on the later FCP version, FCX.

So, if you need things to be fully functional, use an older OS. I can report that FCP 7, and all the apps, work under 10.8.x. But 10.9 broke Compressor and Motion, while FCP 7 still works. (I haven't gone beyond 10.9.5 because I have older apps that won't work on OS versions beyond that).

FCP7 color select tool has gone wacky after El Cap upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.