Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhotos

I have been trying to setup slideshows on iPhotos. I have not downloaded El Capitan nor Yosemite. I create slideshow add photos, system then closes iPhotos down, duplicates photos and I am left with name of slideshow with no photos attached. This has happened twice and before that I was editing photos and same thing happened, I know have 3 sometimes 4 copies of each photo.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 1:51 AM

12 replies

Nov 10, 2015 2:55 AM in response to Dormiemc

I can no longer test in iPhoto 9.4.3 and Lion, unfortunately. But iPhoto should not crash, when you add photos to slideshows.

How are you adding the photos to the slideshow? The usual way would be to drag the photos from an album or an event onto the slideshow project in the inspector.

It is not clear to me, how you can end up with multiple copies of the same photos in iPhoto after adding them to a slideshow. Are you seeing the duplicate photos in different events?

Nov 11, 2015 1:38 AM in response to Dormiemc

Dormiemc wrote:

I Create slideshow then select photo, edit if needed and add to slideshow. I created 5 different slideshows and when it crashed I am left with the slideshow name with no photos attached. Very annoying and not the first time it has happened. the photos are not in different events.

Your iPhoto library may be corrupted. You can test this by creating a new iPhoto LIbrary. Quit iPhoto, launch it again while holding down the options key, until you are seeing the Library Chooser panel. Select to create a new library. Import a few photos. Can you successfully create a new slideshow in the new library?

If yes, then rebuild your current library.

• If iPhoto is open, quit it.
  • Hold down the Option and Command keys while you open iPhoto (click the iPhoto icon in the Dock).The Photo Library First Aid window opens.User uploaded file
  • Click Repair Database to repair your photo library.
  • Repeat with "Repair permissions".

If you still cannot create slideshows make a backup of the iPhoto Library and repeat with "Rebuild Database".

Apr 14, 2016 10:37 AM in response to ehedden

The upgrade to El Capitan did not uninstall iPhoto. It just removed it from th Dock. Look in your Applications folder. Is iPhoto there?

if iPhoto is crossed out, your current version is not compatible with El Capitan. Only iPhoto 9.6.1 will run on El Capitan. In that case you need to update iPhoto. It can only be done by reinstalling from your Purchases history at the App Store.

See Barney's user tip on how to update:
Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

Does iPhoto show for you on the fourth tab "Purchased" at the AppStore? If not, try to unhide it: Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store - Apple Support

Apr 14, 2016 12:24 PM in response to ehedden

Photos does what iPhoto did - to directly edit in Photos shop you need the External Editors for Photos extension ($0.99) from the App store and then you can select a photo in Photos and edit in PS (or any external editor you have installed)

You can use iPhoto 9.6.1 but it is a dead product and you can no longer order print products form it - and with some future upgrade it will totally stop working and you will then be stuck - best to learn Photos now - it is a new program with differences and a lear=ning curve but once you learn it is is better in nearly every way

LN

iPhotos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.