Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

9.1 has made my phone go bananas despite two re-downloads. Do I have to say goodbye to apple?

MY iPhone 5s has gone bananas since downloading 9.1

Apple have twice asked me to back up through iTunes and re-download, which I have done, but it makes no difference.

The phone moves between apps, types by itself, will not respond to taps - so is impossible to use.

apple have sent me a diagnostics ticket number but as that is never recognised by the device, nothing happens.

sometimes it works ok for a few minutes - then goes back to banana mode.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 11:23 AM

I am having the same issue. Only difference is my phone is a 6 Plus. I just signed on to here to see if anyone else was having the same issue. I've done a reboot, and a reset. Haven't done a restore just because I believe that the issue will still be there once I've did it. If anyone can help me and Moby please let us know. I can't really even use my phone.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2015 11:23 AM in response to Mobyx

I am having the same issue. Only difference is my phone is a 6 Plus. I just signed on to here to see if anyone else was having the same issue. I've done a reboot, and a reset. Haven't done a restore just because I believe that the issue will still be there once I've did it. If anyone can help me and Moby please let us know. I can't really even use my phone.

Nov 9, 2015 1:19 PM in response to Mobyx

I had this same issue over the weekend. Updated to 9.1, and suddenly my screen would not respond to touches, and would suddenly register phantom touches and open apps I'd never tapped on.

What I've found through multiple reinstalls is that "Touch ID" is causing the problem. I found this by disabling Find My iPhone and Touch ID and then reinstalling 9.1 on my phone. I then deleted a ton of apps from the phone and it worked great for 6-8 hours. Feeling confident that everything was fixed, I enabled Touch ID and entered three fingerprints into the system, then plugged the phone in and went to bed.

When I woke up, all the same touchscreen issues had returned. It took me a couple times of rebooting to eventually get into the Touch ID menu and disable it... and everything has worked fine for the past two days.

Hope this helps anyone. BTW... I'm an iPhone 6 Plus owner.

Nov 11, 2015 3:22 AM in response to Russell Arch

TThis sounded hopeful so I followed your advice last night and removed tapID. It was then fine for a few hours and I was delighted - but the phone then went manic again. I have chatted with Apple again and they think it must be a hardware issue so have booked me for an appointment next week. Thanks for your response - I am glad it worked for you.

Nov 11, 2015 6:17 AM in response to Mobyx

I'm having the exact same issues. It freezes up. It sometimes goes black when I press the home screen. Some of my apps freeze and close out. It is just wonky. It happened before the upgrade but most of the issues happened after. I'm actually restoring my phone as I type this. I've had no problems with any of my iphones until I upgraded my plan and to this 6 plus. This is the only iphone version I've ever had the most problems with. I'm really disappointed. I hope Apple will fix all the kinks out. You would think they had with this one. We shall see.... =/

Feb 9, 2016 1:31 PM in response to Mobyx

Hi i have the same problem. During all this manic behavior with my iPhone 6Plus Ii also received an email from Apple reseller to switch my phone for a new version with a little reduction...

I m starting to get paranoid. I'm a big fan op Apple but i don't like this sudden instability within such an expensive phone. Since we'r starting to become a little community of people having the same problems, i suppose the more people link to this post, the sooner apple will do something about it :-)

Feb 9, 2016 1:59 PM in response to johndoe001

johndoe001 wrote:

johndoe001 wrote:

Hi i have the same problem. During all this manic behavior with my iPhone 6Plus Ii also received an email from Apple reseller to switch my phone for a new version with a little reduction...

I m starting to get paranoid. I'm a big fan op Apple but i don't like this sudden instability within such an expensive phone. Since we'r starting to become a little community of people having the same problems, i suppose the more people link to this post, the sooner apple will do something about it :-)

What is the "manic behavior?" What did this "authorized representative" tell you to do to stop the "manic behavior?"

What is this "sudden instability?" What did this "authorized representative" tell you to do to stop the "sudden instability?"

Did you attempt to contact Apple directly?

Feb 9, 2016 2:08 PM in response to johndoe001

if i was Evil-A and my stock price slides due to lower phone sales, i would create some manic iPhone problem within my most loyal customer base showing fast uptake of new products to push them to buy the next phone thing. But that would be very evil i think and not apple's idea of building business...

Sometimes the screen is not sensitive at all, sometimes it is oversensitive. Sometimes the phone starts typing by itself, opening websites, other apps, selects an email adres, starts typing vvvyyyvyvy in the mail, calls someone shortly, drops the call, recalls someone else, opens another app, .... I thought it might have something to do with the bluetooth with the i-watch because it didn't happen some time ago when i left the i-watch home... Today i'v put on the watch again, and there it was... Work the problem guys !

Feb 9, 2016 2:19 PM in response to Philly_Phan

What is the "manic behavior?" What did this "authorized representative" tell you to do to stop the "manic behavior?"

Sometimes the screen is not sensitive at all, sometimes it is oversensitive. Sometimes the phone starts typing by itself, opening websites, other apps, selects an email adres, starts typing vvvyyyvyvy in the mail, calls someone shortly, drops the call, recalls someone else, opens another app, .... I thought it might have something to do with the bluetooth with the i-watch because it didn't happen some time ago when i left the i-watch home... Today i'v put on the watch again, and there it was.

What is this "sudden instability?" What did this "authorized representative" tell you to do to stop the "sudden instability?"

I didn't go to the store with the problem yet because i thought it would fix itself by software upgrades or so ... and i don't want to hand over my phone for couple of days to a technician - i really need it - and getting into a hassle about who's fault it is or not is...

It is just strange i got an email now from this store to buy a new phone while having all this trouble with my current 6plus phone. it s probably a coincidence but an unfortunate one not?

Did you attempt to contact Apple directly?

No that i didn't do. Reading your question it might be the solution. I know they have a friendly all hands on service desk... I'll try tomorrow. Let's find out if that works. If it works I'll be happy to post the news :-)

9.1 has made my phone go bananas despite two re-downloads. Do I have to say goodbye to apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.