Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.3.1 audiobooks no longer displays chapter information?

I normally listed to audiobooks on my iPhone. So I know that in iOS 9.0 we lost chapter information, but in iOS 9.1 it was partly restored (we can now see chapter numbers, but not chapter titles).

Recently I tried using iTunes, both directly and via Remote.app, to listen to an audiobook. I discovered none of my audiobook chapters show at all -- instead I see the equivalent of file names. For example, a 24 hour lecture series consisting of about 30 chapters shows up as 3 8 hour files.

iTunes audiobooks are now almost completely useless. Because audiobooks are FairPlay DRMd no 3rd party solution is going to emerge, Apple's DRM means we are locked into Apple.

Is anyone else seeing this?

I suspect our only hope is that Apple is somehow moving to a convergent code base between Mac OS X and iOS and that we're seeing iOS 9.0 behavior in iTunes 12.3.1. Perhaps iTunes 12.4 will give us iOS 9.1 behavior, and we'll see chapters but no chapter titles.

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 8:11 AM

3 replies

iTunes 12.3.1 audiobooks no longer displays chapter information?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.