Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't open iPhoto after upgrading to El Capitan

Hi,

I have a Mac Book Pro (mid 2009), processor 2,53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 8 GB Memory, 128 GB Storage.

After upgrading to El Capitan from Yosemite a month ago, I was able to open iPhoto, but no I can't anymore. In my applications I can see the icon, but it has a prohibited sign on it. When I try clicking on it, I am told that "The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X El Capitan. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store". When I search App Store, I am told "The item you've requested is not currently available in the German Store."

What can I do? How do I access all the photos and videos I stored in iPhoto?

Thanks in advance,

R.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 9:13 AM

15 replies

Nov 9, 2015 11:05 AM in response to Rosagia

If you had some version of iPhoto 9 on your Mac at the time you upgraded to EC follow the directions posted by Tererence Devlin in this post:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If iPhoto 9.6.1 is there, close the App Store, drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash and then go back to the App Store.

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

NOTE: the key to this procedure is to move the existing version of iPhoto 9 to the Trash bin in the Dock (don't empty yet) before going to the App Store.

User uploaded file

Nov 9, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Rosagia

If you bought it from or associated it with a different Apple ID, you need to be signed in with that Apple ID.

If you originally installed it from an iLife DVD or got it with your computer and never associated it with the Mac App Store, you need to either switch to Photos or contact Apple. The first sentence in Old Toad's post doesn't apply if you're using the DVD version of iPhoto 9.

(135986)

Nov 10, 2015 12:57 AM in response to Niel

Hi Niel, thanks for the insight.

I've installed the Snow Leopard from a DVD a long time ago. After that I've updated one system after another online, until El Capitán.

If I switch to Photos, who do I access all the photos and videos I had on iPhoto?

Is contacting Apple my only chance?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 16, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Rosagia

Try rebuilding the library with the free version of iPhoto Library Manager and be sure to check the checkbox to scavenge orphaned photos:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.>Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

2 - select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

3 - make sure that in the rebuild window the checkbox "Scavange orphaned photos" is checked.

User uploaded file

4 - now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

User uploaded file

5 - in the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed. Click on the Create button.

Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

See if the missing photos show up in the new, rebuild library.

I can't open iPhoto after upgrading to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.