Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes will not load "Recently played" list/window (iTunes 12.3.1.23 for Mac)

I'm a little behind the time, but I recently updated to iTunes 12.3 and have come to be aware of the vast changes made to iTunes Radio. From what I understand, of the many changes, there is no way to access a list of our previously created stations other than going through the "Recently Played" link. (There is also no way to create a station based simply on an artist, from what I can tell. We can only start stations based on specific songs. A big gripe of mine, but beside the point for the post, I suppose). At any rate, here is my problem:

I cannot access the recently played station list in iTunes 12.3. I can access the recently played station list on my iOS 9 devices, but when I try to access that list in iTunes 12.3, nothing happens. It appears it is trying to load for a very long time with a spinning dial, but nothing loads. So at the moment I am limited to the short list that shows up on the main Radio page within iTunes.

Is anyone else having this problem? It is very disappointing that Apple removed the ability to create a list of stations, curate them, and store them later for use. Now I can't even access old recently played stations. I've restarted iTunes several times to no avail. Currently, I cannot find this topic online anywhere else.

Can anyone provide some prospective or assistance with this issue?

Thanks,

Dan

Message was edited by: dannysilver

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 11:28 AM

7 replies

Nov 9, 2015 1:44 PM in response to dannysilver

I feel like dannysilver transcribed the exact thoughts in my head.

I feel like I got duped into paying another $25 only to slowly get the cool things in iTunes Match taken away from me.

Can someone please figure out how to complain to the right person about all of the issues dannysilver mentioned (especially the most recent inability to access a longer list of Recently Played stations?

Thanks,

CTGrow

Nov 12, 2015 2:31 PM in response to dannysilver

About the only way to "trick" the new iTunes (on a laptop or desktop) into showing you all your recently played stations is to go through iTunes Radio on an iPhone/iPad or mobile device that uses iTunes... From there you can see all "Recently Played" list of personal radio stations without the endless spinning icon showing up.

The only way I know of to MODIFY existing radio stations (once created... that is, add/delete tracks, add/delete artists, etc.) for those who DON'T subscribe to Apple Music (but still subscribe to iTunes Match) is to use Apple TV (not the newest one coming for year-end 2015/2016, but Apple TV 3)... Apple TV's interface still allows you to access Radio stations you created (not through the old school Internet Radio app on Apple TV, but through iTunes via Apple TV). To be clear... by using the Apple TV iTunes interface you can modify your created/personalized radio stations. It's really the only way to do it since Apple tweaked everything on other devices.

Good luck!

Nov 17, 2015 5:28 AM in response to iXian

Actually, iTunes on the desktop is still able to modify existing stations, as is all of the iOS players as well. Simply click on the Star icon next to the Play/Pause button in the main control button area (OS X has it near the top of the app window, iOS has it near the bottom of the app window when the player is not minimized. It will fly out a menu that lets you play more or fewer tracks like the currently playing song. Same functionality as it has always had.

Nov 17, 2015 5:52 AM in response to dannysilver

I am also seeing the bug in the recently played section of the Radio tab. I'm using iTunes 12.3.1.23 and OS X 10.11.1 on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012). Can't say for sure when the problem started, but it seems it came in with the last update. I'm not sure it was an iTunes update or a system update either. Wish I would have noticed. 🙂

Some behavior I have noticed: When I first launch iTunes (OS X), all of the radio stations showing on the main Radio tab are playable - the Beats1 station that takes up half the window (which I can't stand, personally, and wish I didn't have to stare at it all the time), the list of recently played stations, and all of the stock Apple stations in their categories. That is, when you hover over their cover art a play icon appears and they will start playing when you click on it. The recently played list that gets loaded is current with the list on my iPhone as of the time the desktop app started. When I select a station and start playing it, the recently played list correctly bumps it to the leftmost end of the row and bumps the rest of the stations to the right.

I have noticed that I need to quit the desktop app or force quit the iOS app if I want the recently played list to refresh between the two. I may be just getting impatient - it might be that the list would refresh after a certain amount of time (as if it isn't push-notification-driven info, but requires an actual sync event).

The biggest problem, however, comes when I try to click on the Recently Played text in the desktop app to expand the recently played list to the full window, thus accessing my older recently played stations. As soon as I click, the entire Radio tab seems to become unresponsive with the animated loading icon whirling over top of the center of the window. I can switch tabs and everything seems to work as expected everywhere else (My Music, Playlists, For You, etc.). When I return to the Radio tab it is still unresponsive and displaying the loading icon.

App restart is the only way that I have discovered to get the Radio tab back to the functionality it had before clicking the Recently Played link. Hopefully it's a bug that gets squashed sooner rather than later. It's a little annoying to select the station I want to hear on my phone then restart iTunes on the desktop to be able to see it and start it.

Hm.

Nov 22, 2015 11:14 AM in response to dannysilver

Yup, me too. Pain in the rear end. I too get it fine from my iPhone but not on the laptop. Each update seems to make Apple radio worse. (I'm also sick of seeing Beats). Ideally, I'd like proper functionality where I can list my stations by time, genre or alphabet.

Apple seems more and more like Big Brother and less like your cool friend.

iTunes will not load "Recently played" list/window (iTunes 12.3.1.23 for Mac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.