Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay from Safari not working?

I have the latest El Capitan and Safari on my mid 2012 MBPro. I can airplay my desktop to apple tv. I can airplay from my iPhone 6 and my iPad mini to apple tv also. But I can't click the airplay button from safari/youtube from my mac. Any ideas? I get an artifact of the airplay icon in the middle of my screen for a brief second but the video continues to play on my mac only. I know, first world problems, but I enjoyed the convenience when it did work. I imagine it's a safari for the mac issue since it works from everywhere else, including safari on my iPad mini. BTW my safari version is Version 9.0.1 (11601.2.7.2). Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 16 GB RAM/256 GB SSD

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 11:00 AM

7 replies

Nov 9, 2015 3:38 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn, thanks for the effort but that did not work. What's funny is the airplay icon on my bar across the top of the screen-the one with the clock in it, makes the airplay on my mac icon turn blue when I try the one on the bottom of youtube videos. If I airplay from my mac, I can see my entire desktop. If I airplay from safari, the native mac icon turns blue, but is not streaming at all. I'd expect it to start streaming the desktop at that point since it's turning that icon blue (but of course that's not what I want-i want it to stream the video only directly from the icon on the safari page...). Thanks for trying though!

Nov 11, 2015 8:16 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric, you are correct-it's only Youtube for me. I went to Vimeo and it works perfectly. It had not occurred to me to try a site other than Youtube. So it's definitely a Youtube problem and not a Safari issue. I assume Google will fix it at some point. I was worried something was broken in the Apple software, so now I am relieved. Thanks!

Feb 14, 2016 1:52 PM in response to JDOldham

this really seems to be a Youtube issue. I can use Airplay to stream from my Mac (2013, El Capitan latest) or iPhone 6 to my new Airport Express that is connected to my stereo. All works perfect and Youtube even shows the Airplay icon but if I click on it the menu items are grey and can't be clicked. Of course I can still stream Youtube from my Mac by using this method: http://is.gd/8TqA4Y

Anyway, it is not a perfect solution since all audio output from my Mac is sent to my stereo.

If Youtube Airplay would work properly only the Youtube sound would by streamed while other audio signals would still come out of my Mac's speakers.

I will try to report this issue to Google again...

Airplay from Safari not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.