Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Keynote 6.6 I cannot move to next slide

I am attempting to play my presentation in Keynote 6.6 on my Mac, but cannot move to the next slide, despite following this basic instruction:

Go to the next slide or build: Press the Right Arrow key.

I even successfully connected my iPhone to use it as a remote, but the problem persists. It looks like Keynote on the Mac does not move the next slide or move back to the previous slide.

The only way of manoeuvring around it is to press + to display a navigation panel still in the presentation mode and then press Enter to go to the next slide.

However this does not resolve the main issue. Is it a software bug?

Has anyone experienced a similar thing?

Cheers,

Wojtek

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 12:56 PM

19 replies

Nov 17, 2015 2:11 AM in response to Luboxon

I have the same problem.

No way to move forward in newly created and in old Keynote presentations.

OS-X 10.11.1, Keynote 6.6.1, MacBook Pro late 2009

I was able to solve this problem by going back to the older Keynote version (6.6) which luckily was still on my TimeMachine backup (manually copying the program from the backup volume to the applications folder).

Please Apple, solve this quickly!

Kind regards

klabouter

Mar 30, 2016 10:57 PM in response to brik_dm

This does not work. My presentations stopped working after the El Capitan update from Yosemite. The presentation types are already set to Normal. Nothing to change.

My workaround so far is to export to PDF with each stage of the builds.

Pretty poor showing for everyone responsible for this bug. Version 10.11.4. I waited months before upgrading because major version upgrades with OSX are always broken in major ways (poor quality control). Yet, got bitten by this issue.

I am a professor. I need to make presentations practically every day. Any idea how to actually fix this?

Jun 2, 2016 3:34 AM in response to codiuscube

Try this baseline test:

1. open Keynote and create a new presentation: File > New
  2. choose the White theme
  3. Insert > Shape > Rectangle
  4. slide > new slide
  5. add a different shape the the slide: Insert > Shape > Oval
  6. add three more slides with different shapes on each slide
  7. click on slide 1, then: Play > Play Slideshow
  8. press the spacebar to move to next slide

does this work?

If not use: Dropbox and add the Keynote file then send me a link to the file using a reply to the discussion.

I will test the file on my system.

Aug 16, 2016 10:13 PM in response to Gary Scotland

This solution seems to work when I'm playing the file in Slideshow mode. However, I'd like to be able to advance slides in Edit mode, by using something other than the slide navigator, preferably the arrow keys. I sometimes need to edit slides while presenting, so need to be able to type text into text boxes while in a mode that doesn't prevent this. Is there any way at all to do this?

Aug 17, 2016 2:01 AM in response to dramaguru

You can move from one slide to another with the arrow keys; right arrow to go to next slide and left arrow to go to previous. No transitions or builds will action and sound track will not play

Additionally you could remove the following:

Inspector (View > Hide Inspector)

tool bar (View> Hide toolbar)

and use full screen: (View > Enter Full Screen)

The Navigator panel must be showing to be able to navigate with the arrow keys.

Aug 17, 2016 10:07 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Thank you for trying to help. Yes, I'm aware of all of these, though actually, the right and left arrow keys do NOT advance the slides in Edit Mode. The up and down keys do, however.

It makes no sense to me to require the Navigator panel to be visible in order to use the arrow keys. If the Navigator is present, I could simply use it to navigate. I want an option to navigate when the Navigator is NOT present, the way I can in Powerpoint.

I guess there is no way to do this. I believe I'm going to have to spring for the MS Office Suite after all. Again, thanks.

In Keynote 6.6 I cannot move to next slide

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.