Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos plus captions to EHD.

Since beginning of 2014 my photos are not taking the captions with them to the EHD. Has this been caused by an upgrade to iPhoto, If so how do I now get my photos plus captions to go to my EHD. Captions are very important to me. Colleen.

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 6:36 PM

36 replies

Nov 10, 2015 3:47 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have owned an apple computer since May 2013 and have loved the iPhoto programme. On my return from Canada this year I discovered that all of my photos since the beginning of 2014 have gone to EHD but not the captions. Previously to this photos plus captions have gone to EHD. The way I was shown to put photos onto EHD was to highlight the photos in the album in iPhoto then drag them across to the EHD and place them in a folder in the EHD of the same name. This way worked up until the end of 2013. When I am travelling which is most of the time I download my photos into iPhoto every night, if I have taken photos for an outing e.g., a day into a National Park. I put captions on my photos every time I download so that I get the correct information of where the photos where taken. It in't impossible for me to remember where the photos were taken if I do it a month or two later. All of my photos taken in Western Australia for the whole of 2014, I have discovered do not have captions with them now. I am trying to retrieve these from my backup disk but as yet haven't been able to do this as I don't have enough space in the computer, it is telling me. Can I download iPhoto Library from my Backup directly to and EHD, or is there a way I can restore only 2014 from the backup disk.

I am not very good dealing with computers, while they are working well I love them, but when something changes and I can't do what I used to do I get frustrated. I have spent 5 hours at the apple store where I bought the computer, and no one there could solve the problem. I hope this answers your question.

Nov 11, 2015 2:11 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence, I have also tried doing it through File -- Export and it still does not take the caption. I put the photos onto the EHD as there is not enough space on my computer to leave them all there. It is also a security for me that if my computer crashes, or stolen I have my photos on an EHD, I actually have 2, one I leave at home and one I have in the caravan when I am travelling or if I am going overseas, I take that one with me. I usually leave my latest trip photos on the computer and the older ones are deleted. I also backup my computer when prompted and fortunately I was able to retrieve my Canadian photos from there with the captions. Colleen.

Nov 11, 2015 11:16 PM in response to Yer_Man

I followed your posting about Exporting from iPhoto.

File-> Export and the window pops up, Export, and I set it up as that posting said, even changing the Kind to PNG for one attempt and a second one with the Kind JPEG which my photos are taken in. Size (Custom), Max (height), all settings as that posting had them.

In iPhoto after importing my photos into the computer I highlight the photo I want to work with, click on info. On the right side you have the camera details about the photo e.g. ISO etc. Below that is IMG No then date and time taken. Under that is a window which says, add a description, and it is here where I put the information about the photo, where it was taken etc., this is what I refers to as caption.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Nov 13, 2015 12:43 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence,

Thank you for all your comments, I don't understand the last one. I was trying to see if I could do what I want to do using iPhoto like I used to do, but it appears to me that Apple doesn't accept that they have created a problem with the last update. I will continue to use iPhoto until someone can tell me that the new programme Photo doesn't have the same problem, then I will upgrade, as yet no one has been prepared to say anything. After spending 5 hours at the Apple store where I purchased the computer to have them say, I know you have a problem, what you are saying I can see is actually happening but, I don't know how to fix it, really doesn't give you to much confidence in the after care. You can't help me so now I have to believe what the technical consultant I engaged to look at my computer, is telling me the truth, and I have to say cost me a bit of money, but at least I have a solution. Fortunately for me I have the Apeture programme and that is the programme that I need to use to get the captions to go to EHD. He has also loaded me Pecasa and in this programme I am able to read the captions on some of my older albums which I don't get in iPhoto. I can now use Pecasa to view all my photo albums off the EHD without importing them back into iPhoto. This is a long way around getting a solution to the problem but if I have to do it this way so be it. If you hear of a solution to the problem using iPhoto alone, I would like to read it here on this post. Colleen.

Photos plus captions to EHD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.