Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manually managing music has stopped working altogether

iPhone 6+ 128GB

iOS 9.1

iTunes 12.3.0.44

Windows 7 Home Premium

For as long as I've had Apple products (first iPods, then iPhones), I've manually managed my music on them by dragging and dropping mp3 files through iTunes. This started giving me problems around a year ago, and now it has basically ceased to function altogether.

Dragging and dropping files onto my iPhone through iTunes now leaves them greyed out in my phone library. Oftentimes I will get stuck with a very long 'Updating Files On My iPhone - Preparing To Update' message at the top of iTunes, at the end of which, the new files still don't sync over. When I delete the greyed out files, I get another extremely long 'Preparing To Update.' At the end of this, sometimes my phone will re-sync ALL 10,000 of the songs on my phone - a process that takes 45 minutes to an hour. If I unplug my phone from the computer during any part of this process, all the music on my phone becomes unplayable (thankfully I keep a backup on my hard drive, which I learned to do the hard way after this problem began). Then when I try to add more songs, they just stay greyed out and unplayable again.

It's not the phone, because this has happened across multiple iPhones as well as an iPod touch. This is definitely an iTunes issue. Several times I have tried erasing all the music from the device, restoring the device, and then manually adding all the music back onto the device. This is an extremely lengthy process, and it usually succeeds in allowing me to continue manually adding music back onto my phone, but only for a very brief period of time. The problem almost immediately starts back up again, and I am completely unable to add or modify any music on my phone.

Is this a known issue and/or does anyone know a fix? It's incredibly frustrating to no longer be able to add any more new music to my phone.

Thanks in advance

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 9, 2015 6:03 PM

6 replies

Nov 19, 2015 11:42 PM in response to jawgust

Jawgust

I am having the same issue like you ... I too manually manage my music but when i got the 128 GB iPhone 6 the plan was to sync my whole library.... work for awhile until i updated iTunes and to windows 10....Now i have to go back manually managing....iTunes keeps update same files on the iPhone every time i plug it in the computer and it like a gamble because sometime it update the song and video without any problem and the other time (more like 80%) it would get stuck in the process and the item on the iPhone will lose the albums cover and some also become unplayable...

Nov 20, 2015 5:44 AM in response to jawgust

These steps should work:

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup made earlier.

Note backing up no longer transfers purchased apps from your device into iTunes. Make sure you have up-to-date copies of all your apps in your iTunes library before restoring or you may loose settings and data associated with apps that are not in your library when you restore.

Syncing with selected playlists makes the process of restoring a backup easier than it is with manually management. You should have just as much control, indeed more since you can edit the playlists when your device isn't connected, and you get syncing of ratings, playcounts, etc.

tt2

Dec 1, 2015 7:12 AM in response to jawgust

The standard troubleshooting approach with an Apple device that isn't working as expected is to make sure that iTunes is fully up to date and to restore the device. In the case of iOS devices you should backup your information beforehand and restore afterwards. Is that guaranteed to work? Not always. Is there a way to ensure it doesn't go wrong again? I doubt it. It does seem perhaps that iTunes has problems when a large quantity of media is queued up for transfer, and if something goes wrong it doesn't recover gracefully. If it were in my power I would work on that issue, but I'm just another user so all I can offer is my advice. In practice, and despite your preference for manual management, I would nonetheless recommend syncing with selected playlists. This is a technique I used to use on my 160Gb classic for repopulating it.

Break up large transfers

Once you've restored your iPod don't rush to dump all the data back exactly as it was before. I have found that lots of large or complex smart playlists can sometimes trigger constant reboots or dumping of the iPod's library. In addition, larger transfers can fail leaving data in an inconsistent state. Try this technique for populating the iPod in stages.

In iTunes select the menu item File... New Smart Playlist. Change the first drop-down box to Playlist, the next to is and the next to Music or whatever playlist holds the bulk of the content you want on your device. Tick against Limit to, type in say 10, then change the drop-down to GB, and set the last drop-down to artist. When you click OK you can enter a name for the playlist, e.g. Transfer.

User uploaded file

Now sync this playlist to your iPod rather than your entire library. When the sync is complete modify the rule (File... Edit playlist) to increase the size by your chosen amount, then sync and repeat. You can experiment with different size increments, if it doesn't work just choose something a bit smaller until it works each time. Before long you should have all your music on your iPod. Once that's done you can move on to other media such as podcasts, videos, photos, playlists, etc.

Syncing to one or more playlists should give you more control, rather than less, since you can update the selection whether the device is connected or not, and it should simplify the process of restoring your device as and when that should become necessary again.

tt2

Manually managing music has stopped working altogether

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.