Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ongoing Wifi / Bluetooth issues after OS X El Capitan install

I have two ongoing issues with Wifi and Bluetooth since updating to the current El Capitan version OS X 10.11.1 on a mid-2015 MacBook Pro. Both issues manifest after the MacBook been woken from sleeping. I don't know if these two issues are related. However, they did appear after upgrading to the current version of El Capitan.

Wifi:

• There is no connectivity to the Wifi network after the MacBook goes to sleep
  • Upon waking, the MacBook reconnects to the Wifi network (icon shows connection) however web pages will not load, mail does not connect to the server, etc.
  • The issue can be resolved by toggling Wifi off then back on
  • The issue can also be resolved by restarting the MacBook
  • This connectivity issue recurs every time the MacBook goes to sleep
  • The issue does not manifest on other clients including multiple iOS devices (iPhone 6, 6s, iPad Air 2, iPad) and a windows based laptop
  • The issue does not manifest if the MacBook is started after being completely shut down
  • I tried all of the suggestions described in this post (except re-installing El Capitan) with no luck: Re: Problem reconnecting to WiFi after sleep with El Capitan

Bluetooth:

• Bluetooth becomes "unavailable" when the MacBook is woken from sleep
  • The icon is grayed out with a squiggly line through it
  • Clicking the icon displays a message that bluetooth is unavailable
  • Bluetooth is "ON" in System Preferences
  • Bluetooth can not be turned off in System Preferences
  • The MacBook has to be restarted to correct the issue and make bluetooth available

One final note, this MacBook Pro had been enrolled in the beta program.

I am using an Asus RT-AC87U router with unique SSID for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Passwords do not have non-alpha numeric characters (supposedly can cause issues with the router's performance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 10, 2015 8:19 AM

10 replies

Nov 30, 2015 8:28 AM in response to krishmac

Here's what I did to resolve the wifi dropout issue. I tried the OSX Daily recipe but it didn't work. This is just a more comprehensive version of it. instead of deleting some of the files in the System Configuration folder, just delete (or back it up) the whole folder and reboot. OSX will rebuild the folder. The issue is from updating and not clean installing El Capitan, so some of the old setting are left over. A clean rebuild of this folder seems to fix it.

The folder is in HD/Library/Preferences

There is probably a similar rebuild option for Bluetooth, but I don't know what it is. Apple should really sort out these issues when installing a new OSX over an old one. It wouldn't be that hard.

Nov 28, 2015 5:39 PM in response to mlippmann

Had same bluetooth issue randomly start. Bluetooth mighty mouse stopped working and wouldn't connect. Then the Bluetooth Preferences panel disappeared and the icon showed bluetooth not available with the squiggly line.

Deleted the com.apple.blutooth.plist and shut down the computer. Restarted the computer and bluetooth once again is working and the preferences panel for bluetooth reappeared.

Apr 19, 2016 2:07 PM in response to mlippmann

Literally nothing that I've seen in this group or online has helped. I just saw this and I deleted my preferences folder and rebooted. After coming out of sleep, it is still taking my 2015 MBP over a minute to reestablish a connection with the internet. I don't use anything bluetooth with this computer, so I haven't noticed any problems with it. My wifi is just really slow to reconnect. The icon at the top shows that it is connected, but I get no internet connection. I'm starting to think that I just may have to accept that this is an annoying quirk of this machine. Has anyone come up with anything else since the last post?

Ongoing Wifi / Bluetooth issues after OS X El Capitan install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.