Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

net use works for local users but not local network users

Server is running 10.10.5 server 5.0.15

Tested with windows 7 and 8.1 pro and home

When using just the regular explorer and navigating to "\\myserver\folder" it asks for credentials (both local and local network users work fine) and can then mount a folder with the "map network drive.."

When using the "net use" command local users have no issues but gives error 1326 and 86 for local network users saying the user name/password is incorrect

Using the command as:

"net use k: \\myserver\folder /user:username password"

"net use k: \\myserver\folder /user:mayserver/username password"

"net use k: \\myserver\folder /user:username@myserver password"

also tried them all with the ip

Tried making new local and network users but experience the same behavior

Have restarted file sharing, removed and added permission to user for file sharing, set file sharing to all users and on all networks

Tried running the commands with the ip but sill results in the same behavior

Tried running the LDAP server with ssl on and off

The directory administrator account also has the same behavior

Have tried playing with some of the settings suggested here but have only been able to change the behavior of the local users to not be able to login

Anyone have any ideas why the net use command will not authenticate with a network user accounts?

Posted on Nov 10, 2015 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 8:50 AM

A bit of an update and logs

net use with local account:

digest-request: od failed with 2 proto=ntlmv2

digest-service[12063]: digest-request: user=\\testlocaluser

digest-request kdc: ok user=MACSERVER\\testlocaluser proto=ntlmv2

net use with network account:

digest-request: user=BackOffice\\testlanuser

digest-request: kdc failed with 36150275 proto=unknown

digest-request: guest failed with -1561745590 proto=ntlmv2

explorer with network account:

digest-request od: ok user=MACSERVER\\testlanuser proto=ntlmv2 flags: ENC_128, NEG_VERSION, NEG_TARGET_INFO, NEG_NTLM, NEG_SIGN, NEG_TARGET, NEG_UNICODE

I found that i can get the share to mount with a network user and the net use command if I enter it as:

"net use k: \\myserver\folder /user:MACSERVER\username password"

found that it had to be all caps

I tried to change windows LAN Manager authentication level to all the different settings but none allowed the network account to login without the prefix

Sadly the program I am tying to get running does not allow me to add on the prefix to the user

I think this is more of a windows issue now so will look into it from that angle

If anyone has any ideas how to get it to add the correct prefix(not the computer name) or without it (NTLMv2 setting server or client side) let me know

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Tsf42m

A bit of an update and logs

net use with local account:

digest-service[12063]: digest-request: user=\\testlocaluser

digest-request kdc: ok user=MACSERVER\\testlocaluser proto=ntlmv2

net use with network account:

digest-request: user=BackOffice\\testlanuser

digest-request: kdc failed with 36150275 proto=unknown

digest-request: guest failed with -1561745590 proto=ntlmv2

explorer with network account:

digest-request od: ok user=MACSERVER\\testlanuser proto=ntlmv2 flags: ENC_128, NEG_VERSION, NEG_TARGET_INFO, NEG_NTLM, NEG_SIGN, NEG_TARGET, NEG_UNICODE

I found that i can get the share to mount with a network user and the net use command if I enter it as:

"net use k: \\myserver\folder /user:MACSERVER\username password"

found that it had to be all caps

I tried to change windows LAN Manager authentication level to all the different settings but none allowed the network account to login without the prefix

Sadly the program I am tying to get running does not allow me to add on the prefix to the user

I think this is more of a windows issue now so will look into it from that angle

If anyone has any ideas how to get it to add the correct prefix(not the computer name) or without it (NTLMv2 setting server or client side) let me know

Nov 21, 2015 12:49 AM in response to Tsf42m

HI tsf42m, I'm having same circumstances as this. Xp is fine with net use and network user to od. however I get system error 1326 with Windows 7 with same OD network account.

1) Windows 7 - sys error 1326 for net use mount

windows local security: NTLMv2 negotiate, accept LM and NTLMv1.

ANd

windows local security: guests authenticate as them selves. Etc

File system ACL is fine for the network user. Smb and afp mount ok

2) same OD network user from OS X 10.10.5 work of course

can AFP and SMB mount on osx when mac is bound to OD

We're replacing ancient win 2003 server with OS X server. Authenticating windows workstations with network users to OS X managed OD and file system stuff etc.

fyi: using PGINA v3.2 beta as Windows login front end plug in for credentials authentication. This works very well with LDAP and OD on osx

LIke yourself, just can't get win7 you smb mount OS X smb file shares

Windows lan policy, the firewall and sec policies are sound.

THe the lack of any log events for this in Windows is frustrating

your syntax for net use is correct. unlike your experience, I use all lower case get the same result. The authenticating domain never seems to be called

EG

net use * \\mac-mini-04\rhino-projects /u:MMREALM\artist-01 pwdartist-01

YOu ou see a digest info log on slapdlog

i will post any news.

(On iphone6+ .. Excuse my terseness)

Warwick

Hong Kong

Dec 1, 2015 12:29 PM in response to Warwick Teale

Yep I'm actually using PGINA to and that's why I have been trying to get this to work.

Have also tried using the username modification in PGINA and have chatted a bit in there support forms about a fix/workaround.

I have also tired PGINA fork that has some good stuff to mess with but have not been able to get a drive to auto mount with login with ether.

If you do find a fixed please add an update I am still looking for a solution.

net use works for local users but not local network users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.