You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shattered touchpad on Apple TV 4 remote

After only 3 days of ownership, my remote slipped off an end table onto a tile floor. Drop height 20 inches. The touchpad is shattered. Do I have any recourse other than paying $79 for a replacement?

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 10, 2015 10:35 AM

12 replies

Nov 10, 2015 3:20 PM in response to bandle123

The Apple TV 4 works with the old remote (for basic things, probably not games), so if you don't want to spend $80 you can buy the old one for $20, or use one from an old Apple TV, even an old iMac (remember the white ones with the magnet that stuck to the side of the iMac? That probably works).

I didn't realize that was glass. I'm going to be more careful with mine now.

Dec 27, 2015 6:52 PM in response to bandle123

You should take it back to an Apple Store and ask for a replacement.

I would point out the following:

Dropping a remote is a normally expected occurrence and other remotes were designed with this in mind.

The intended use of the remote as game controller should have made it even more durable than a standard remote and again dropping it is expected.

As an engineer, you must expect things like this and select materials and designs which will withstand this normal misuse.

The design appears to be flawed with the track pad extending to the edges of the remote. This makes it highly subject to impacts. If they ran a frame around the outside of the pad that had a raised ridge around it, it would protect the pad from direct impact.

There was no warning stickers on the remote to alert you that it was so fragile and was unlike other remotes.

I expect Apple will end up redesigning the remote to address this huge mistake.

Also it could turn out to be a quality problem with the material used for the track pad.

Take it back.

The worst that could happen would be they tell you no. Once the engineers hear about enough returns, they will address it.

Shattered touchpad on Apple TV 4 remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.